Talk

Advanced search

Recycling - how do you manage the storage?

(16 Posts)
ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Sun 12-Feb-17 10:31:24

Council have just changed our recycling system. We used to put everything (paper, bottles, plastic, cans) in transparent plastic bags and throw them out the door on bin day. That was fine, I had a system, with a pull out bin in the kitchen with the recycling bag in it, and if I was doing a clearout in another room I'd just take an empty bag with me and full it up on the spot. Now they've given us wheely bins. Exactly the same stuff goes in them but without the plastic bags. I'm flustered at the change to my routine - what do I do?

People who have this system - What do you do? Does every little used envelope or tin can go outside into the recycling bin straight away, even if you've got no clothes on, or do you have a halfway-house bin, and if so, where? Old cupboard bin is not suitable for picking up and taking outside. Do I remove it and replace with a small open crate or do I take advantage of an unused cupboard which happens to have potential electricity supply to buy my dream cordless Dyson?

HmmOkay Sun 12-Feb-17 10:35:36

We have the halfway house stuff. Can't be bothered to go outside in the rain with every little thing.

This kind of thing from IKEA. Goes in the utility room. The stuff gets transferred into the outside bins once a fortnight just before collection. Works well.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 12-Feb-17 10:37:34

I have the same ikea bins. Works really well, they stack up but you can still put stuff in bottom bit. Lids fit well enough to keep smells in

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 12-Feb-17 10:38:30

You can still have the Dyson. Put the mounting bracket on inside of cupboard door

boredwithabrokenfinger Sun 12-Feb-17 10:45:06

We have three bins under our kitchen sink.

For rubbish that can't be recycled a bin attached to the cupboard door like this

For food recycling, we have a little caddy bin like this which sits on the back of the other cupboard door.

For recycling, we have a bin (bottom part of a medium size paper shredder) which sits in the cupboard.

All bins are emptied every day or so.

Outside, we have a paper bin, food bin, green bin, recycling bin and rubbish bin.

Chasingsquirrels Sun 12-Feb-17 10:48:18

We are now all-in-one-wheelie-bin collected fortnightly.
We have an old open crate / recycling box from when we were many and varied recycling all collected separately which lives in the utility room and gets emptied into the wheelie bin when it's full (overflowing) about 3 or 4 times a fortnight.
It's not very beautiful, but it's probably an improvement on same box for paper & card, plus carrier for tins, separate carrier for glass, plastic bin bag for plastics and carrier for tetra-pak!
Plus I have a small wastepaper bin in my ensuite to collect any upstairs recycling - shampoo bottles, toilet roll holders etc. Emptied into wheelie bin on collection day.

chocdonutyy Sun 12-Feb-17 10:50:57

I use a bag for life, once full I take it to the bins and empty it in.
I live in a flat and only take out rubbish when I go out anyway as I'm on the 2nd floor and bins are in a unlit communal areas, not doing that in my pj's!
Sometimes I'll use a bag for life and take it with me/pop it behind the door to grab on the way back, other times I'll use a large box from a delivery or similar that I'd chuck anyway.

jazzandh Sun 12-Feb-17 12:09:11

I use a large enamel bucket which I keep on the side / utility room. I chuck all the recyclables in there (wrap food waste in newspaper) and at the end of the day take it outside and sort it into the correct bins. (Or as and when full).....

NotWithoutMyMerkin Sun 12-Feb-17 12:13:51

We have one cupboard in the kitchen which contains two pull out bins - one for paper/cardboard, and one for cans/jars. We take these out the the wheely bin/boxes outside when they are full. Caddy on the worktop for food waste.

citykat Sun 12-Feb-17 15:40:53

Caddy thing for food as that goes in its own wheelie bin. Washing up bowl on a shelf in cupboard for glass, paper, tins, plastic- emptied at the end of the day into the other wheelie bin.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Tue 14-Feb-17 08:13:34

Thanks everyone. I don't have a utility room envy so I want something invisible. I think that Brabantia might be the answer because it's light enough to pick up and carry outside. Is the docking mechanism reasonably robust?

And I could fit it inside my cleaning cupboard which would leave the recycling cupboard free for my dream cordless Dyson - now all I need to do is work on DH.

dementedpixie Tue 14-Feb-17 08:17:16

I have a 2 compartment kitchen bin - 1 side for general waste and the other for recycling. Once it's full it gets emptied into the outside bin. Glass is a separate colllection and bottles/jars collect on the worktop until I can be bothered to put them outside

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Tue 14-Feb-17 12:26:37

I have a basket by the front door for paper, card etc. That gets emptied into the relevant crate outside the night before collection.

Under the kitchen sink I have a sectioned pull out bin. One part for food waste which gets transferred to the outside food waste bin every couple of days and one for non recyclable waste which gets put in the outside bin fortnightly (non recyclables are only collected fortnightly).

I have a small basket beside the sink for rinsed recyclables - tins, bottles, jars etc which I transfer to the relevant boxes outside as and when convenient.

Everyone knows that recyclables from their rooms/bathrooms should be put in the relevant place and I empty bathroom and bedroom bins (non recyclables) weekly. My non recyclable wheelie bin is rarely even half full when it goes out each fortnight.

fixyourgardengate Tue 14-Feb-17 12:32:30

We have a plastic box for paper and an old metal ice beer bucket thing for everything else. They live on top of the fridge and get emptied every couple of days. My Mum isn't tall enough to reach so on the days she looks after the kids stuff piles up on the work top 😂

rabbit123 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:42:50

We've had recycling bins for years. Having to use bags sounds worse to be honest - so messy!

We've got 1 of these. Recycling goes in the bigger side, landfill waste in the other. It's pretty good as it encourages us to recycle more. We now only have about 2 bags of rubbish a week and it would be a lot less if we had a food waste collection.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01CNXY9Y4/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1487093995&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=double+bin&dpPl=1&dpID=41-qy6SdXGL&ref=plSrch&tag=mumsnetforum-21

specialsubject Wed 15-Feb-17 16:05:48

kitchen has a rubbish bin, a food waste bin and a recycling crate. Anything for the last that has to washed is done before it goes in - I try to use the washing up water when all else is done.

food waste goes on the compost heap and rubbish into the black bin. The recycling is sorted into the three separate containers outside for the fortnightly pick up. We seem to fill the crate every 3 days even though I try to minimise packaging. As that is the one we use the most, it is an open crate under a worktop so things can just be thrown in.

there is also a bathroom bin and one bedroom bin, non recyclables only. The more bins, the more emptying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now