Talk

Advanced search

Best way to clean engagement ring?

(19 Posts)
awsomestuff Sat 11-Feb-17 18:51:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ILoveMyMonkey Sat 11-Feb-17 18:59:13

I use a soft tooth brush and liquid soap. Seems to work on my yellow gold and diamond.

Goondoit Sat 11-Feb-17 19:01:01

Soak in vodka overnight absolutely GLEAMING next day

wiickets Sat 11-Feb-17 19:50:43

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

mycatloveslego Sat 11-Feb-17 19:56:16

I clean mine with and old electric toothbrush head on the electric toothbrush with a little soap- it does an amazing job and really gets into the nooks and crannies to make it gleam.

Love51 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:57:52

Dip in it dishwater 3 times a day.
Or so I've heard.

Sorry. blush

OpalIridescence Sat 11-Feb-17 20:00:13

Soft toothbrush and washing up liquid will bring it up beautifully. Diamonds are high grease attracting so this works very well.

Stickaforkinimdone Sat 11-Feb-17 20:09:32

The jeweller who made my engagement ring advised to buy a tea ball infuser (https://www.theteamakers.co.uk/TTMINF5.html?mkwid=s&crid=160803501315&mpkw=&mpp_mt=&pdv=m&gclid=CLOzyZjsiNICFRKeGwodkp4ImA) stick the ring inside and then put it in the dishwasher with rest of your cutlery for a normal wash....he swears the ring will come out gleming although I've always been too scared to try!

OCSockOrphanage Sat 11-Feb-17 20:21:52

Fairy liquid and hot water is fine on all gems EXCEPT pearls. A gin/vodka bath also works well. I brush mine with a thin flossing brush to remove skin cell build up.

OpalIridescence Tue 14-Feb-17 10:52:51

Just to add to pp post, please do not put hot water and soap or washing up liquid on pearls, emeralds, opals, tanzanite.

Def don't put these in dishwasher either!!
Many of these gems are brittle or have been heat treated and oil filled as standard or are porous. They are less stable and hot temp or contact with water can damage them

GlitterRollerSkate Tue 14-Feb-17 11:01:16

Gin!

OpalIridescence Tue 14-Feb-17 11:33:05

gingingin

kel1234 Tue 14-Feb-17 11:40:28

I clean all my jewellery in a bowl of hot water and washing up liquid. Leave it overnight, then let it dry naturally the next day. Comes up lovely

BlahBlahBlahEtc Tue 14-Feb-17 11:44:44

Will these tips work on a sapphire ring that has a million holes in the underside? I don't want to ruin it but the holes are all full of crap and is making the ring dull

OpalIridescence Tue 14-Feb-17 12:33:55

blahblah
Are the holes in the sapphire or do you mean in the setting?

The best thing you could do is take it to a local jeweller and ask them to clean in ultrasonic while you wait, you will be amazed how much better it will look.star

All these tips are good but stones all have areas of weakness including diamonds, so you do need to be careful.
However sapphire is corundum and is hard and stable so washing up liquid and water, soft scrub with toothbrush should be fine if you want home remedy

BlahBlahBlahEtc Tue 14-Feb-17 13:16:47

Sorry I meant in the setting. I probably will just ask a jewellers, saves maybe damaging it! But failing that (I'm crap at actually doing stuff lol!) I'll do the toothbrush thing like you suggested, thanks a lot grin

FrancisCrawford Tue 14-Feb-17 17:58:45

I had the same with an inherited sapphire and diamond ring.

Leave it to soak in washing up liquid and water for a hour or so, then use a toothbrush to gently loosen the gunk, then swish in water, repeat.

It will come up beautifully.

ShutYerCakeHole Tue 14-Feb-17 18:19:29

Blah - those little interdental brushes are great for getting into an intricate setting, if an ordinary toothbrush won't do it. You can get cheapo ones in poundland.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Tue 14-Feb-17 19:34:56

These are all brilliant tips! Thanks every one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now