Talk

Advanced search

Dds room just so full of stuff- how can I throw stuff out??

(9 Posts)
bramblina Wed 08-Feb-17 23:01:06

If I ask her about things she hasn't seen in 3 years she'll surely want to keep it. So I know I have to be ruthless but I don't know how.

Help. I am drowning in clutter.

Lovelybangers Wed 08-Feb-17 23:02:15

How old is DD?

bramblina Wed 08-Feb-17 23:05:12

Lovelybangers Wed 08-Feb-17 23:09:28

I am trying to think back to how I cleared out DS' room periodically.

At that age I think I just did a sneaky blitz - he didn't ever ask for the items which were no longer there. S ome of the things I came across were birthday/christmas gifts which hadn't been taken out of the packaging even! So charity shopped those.

I also boxed up all his old cuddly toys from when he was a baby - they went into the garage for storage (had to be thrown out after a while of course as they began to smell of damp).

I did box up many of his books. He is a bookworm so they are/were important to him. In no way have I kept all of his books from babyhood but there are two of those large perspex lidded boxes with his books in storage. I let him sort out his own books - I think they are a more personal item than games/toys.

bramblina Wed 08-Feb-17 23:11:17

Hmmmm OK I'll just have to get on with it, won't I? I just don't know how ruthless is acceptable. I always worry that the one thing I throw out is the one thing she will search for.....

Lovelybangers Wed 08-Feb-17 23:21:55

I think you just have to use your judgement on it.

Once she gets older then can assist in deciding what stays and what goes. Otherwise, as you say, it gets more difficult.

My DS has gone away to Uni now - so I make him do a little clear out each time he comes home as we plan to move house soon - and no way am I packing up a whole room of his stuff if he doesn't need to keep it all.

SingaSong12 Wed 08-Feb-17 23:31:56

Could you box stuff up then store for a month. If she hasn't searched for it or asked about it then it goes out. (I'd particularly say that of things like teddies/things she has made herself where she may be attached but not always play with it)

Depending on your DD is this something you could agree to do as a family, do a clear out but some from everyone. store things for a set time then see if there things you miss and get those things out as you go along.

wickerlampshade Wed 08-Feb-17 23:33:57

Empty a cupboard. Put toys in it. Wait 3 months. If they haven't been missed , give them away.

bramblina Sat 11-Feb-17 22:41:58

Thanks guys, I'm going to do what you say- put things away for a set amount of time. Handy that we've just had the eves floored. Either that or just more hoarding space for me......shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now