Talk

Advanced search

What the hell caused my washing machine to smoke

(5 Posts)
Mcchickenbb41 Wed 08-Feb-17 09:36:06

Just come home from school run. Empty the wash I'd put on this morning and loads of smoke came billowing out. Def not steam as a cool wash. Clothes not damaged. Very slight rubber smell. The only thing I could think it was, was an item of clothing got stuck in the rubber. Anyway turned of at mains and will leave for now. Anyone else had this ?

PickAChew Wed 08-Feb-17 09:38:52

Washing machines are one of the most common causes of house fires, so no, not unusual.

If it's in or not far outside the warranty period, contact the manufacturer.

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 08-Feb-17 10:08:50

Omg. Ok will do. It's about 2.6 yrs old

diymania Wed 08-Feb-17 10:19:23

Definitely don't run it again! Need to get engineer - although as washing machine engineer told me mostly these days it's just cheaper to buy a new one than repair old one depending on what the prob is.

I had a slight burny smell - no smoke and the engineer was very concerned that I don't use it. As pp said most common cause of house fires, and the problem is that because the fire is all inside a metal box it goes out of control without you being able to access the source of the flames, so is very dangerous.

I'd unplug it too (not sure if that'd help but belt and britches!)

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 08-Feb-17 15:39:10

Thankyou diy. Yes I'll get it looked at. Things like this really worry me. Especially as that's the one appliance I leave unattended for eg I wouldn't put my dw on and go out for the day. Great this is just what I need right now !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now