Talk

Advanced search

Organising Kitchen cupboards

(11 Posts)
ElasticFirecracker Wed 08-Feb-17 09:18:04

Hello

I'm looking for advice and clever tips on organising my kitchen cupboards.

I have an older IKEA fitted kitchen.

Among the many problems I have are
stuff getting stacked on top of each other so it's difficult to get out and put back.

Stuff at the back of the cupboards gets forgotten about.

How do you store different things to make them easy to get out and put away also make best use of space.

How to avoid utensil chaos. How to organise and store these oddly shaped and tricky things.

Thanks

AmyAmoeba Wed 08-Feb-17 15:37:49

I found this article helpful. Using the ABC concept to decide where to store things revolutionised my kitchen! Before, I had items that only get used once or twice a year in 'A' spaces and plates that were used daily on high shelf 'C' spaces.

AmyAmoeba Wed 08-Feb-17 15:40:23

Oh and boxes are brilliant - putting all pasta together in a box/ spices in a box/ sauce packets etc. Use whatever is handy at first, like cereal boxes cut in half, or old shoe boxes. Once you have a working system you can buy fancy storage boxes or baskets.

SnugglySnerd Wed 08-Feb-17 15:44:15

Ikea have loads of stuff for organising kitchens, we bought some recently. Utensils we use most e.g. wooden spoons, spatulas are in a big jar next to the cooker. Smaller utensils e.g. peeler, apple corer, bottle opener in some of those small containers that attach to a rail on the wall.
Knives and scissors on a magnetic strip on the wall out of reach of dcs.
I use old takeaway containers as compartments in the cupboards so one contains bags of nuts, another for packets of spices etc. It means that if something spills the mess is contained.
Pasta, rice, lentils etc decanted into jars as I can't stand it when the bag rips and spills everywhere.
Put things near to where you use them e.g. mugs, coffee & tea bags in cupboard near kettle. Crockery in cupboard near dishwasher so it's quicker to put away.

squiz81 Wed 08-Feb-17 15:50:07

I use these wicker baskets from Ikea. I store all my spices in them so easy to pull out and get the one you want. Also makes cleaning cupboards easier as they are quick to empty. I have more of them for things like herbal tea bags.
It's my pull out larder cupboard that's a disaster zone and needs sorting out!

savagehk Wed 08-Feb-17 15:52:02

"Among the many problems I have are
stuff getting stacked on top of each other so it's difficult to get out and put back.

Stuff at the back of the cupboards gets forgotten about.

How do you store different things to make them easy to get out and put away also make best use of space."

All of this sounds like you need pull-out shelves? If you have them at the right height you shouldn't need to have things on top of other things, put in two instead.
Storage: decant into jars as already suggested.

savagehk Wed 08-Feb-17 15:53:18

uk.pinterest.com/pin/539235755357024291/

ElasticFirecracker Thu 09-Feb-17 06:58:38

Thank you, all of you this is very helpful.

Ifailed Thu 09-Feb-17 07:05:48

Not wanting to be flippant, buy why not use up some of the stuff? Have you checked the used-by-dates on everything, I know when I moved recently I found several tins that were years passed!
If you then meal-plan you should find that cupboards are getting bare as you head towards the next shop.

SnugglySnerd Thu 09-Feb-17 07:46:30

Lakeland and Betterware sell things to stack plates, tins etc in your cupboards so that you can still them more easily.

LastnightaDJ Thu 09-Feb-17 09:51:11

I have a large kitchen and yet was still finding it difficult to store and remove things from cupboards easily (talking pots, pans, colanders, bowls, rice cookers etc here, not foodstuffs or crockery). I tried a million ways of organising. Became like a jigsaw puzzle.

The only thing that helped? Honestly? Marie Kondo. I removed everything from the cupboards, category by category, and laid it out in a pile. So, for example, colanders / sieves. I had eight. Eight. Most of them I never used. As I picked up each one I knew instantly whether I loved using it, or if it was one of those ones that would always be passed over because it was just not quite right .... Too big, too small, not comfy to hold, the holes were the wrong size .... Etc etc. It was very obvious what I really used day to day. So I did that with everything and ended up with my lovely collection of effective and loved utensils, all of which now magically (and it is magic) fitted perfectly into my space. No stacking needed. Now everything I have is usable and has a home. Constantly seeing stuff you don't use or need is irritating, even if you don't realise it, and it stops you getting the use out of your good stuff. Try it. I recommend it. Go through your stuff bit by bit and you'll know what to keep. You will just know. Changed my whole relationship to my kitchen and food prep. Love it now (well, most days!!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now