Talk

Advanced search

Food waste bins

(8 Posts)
Bedsheets4knickers Tue 07-Feb-17 22:48:31

Hi all , I know you guys will help me out ..
We have 2 weekly rubbish bin collections . Fine through winter but the summer a lot of us had maggots in our bins . So this year I'm going to use my food waste bin that gets emptied weekly .
To anyone who uses these . Do you put a little bin liner inside . Or use a fresh liner each day . The thought of having a weeks worth of food waste sitting in it without no bag turns my stomach as much as maggots . Then how do the bin men empty them when they'll be full we rotten food ??

SherlocksDeerstalker Tue 07-Feb-17 22:54:49

Your supposed to use the compostable bin liners inside, and then remove and tie when full and put in the big food bin. Does your council not supply the liners? You can buy them in the supermarket if not.

Bedsheets4knickers Tue 07-Feb-17 22:58:53

Not that I know off, have never received any in 7 years

Bedsheets4knickers Tue 07-Feb-17 23:01:03

If going in the big bin anyway why not just use my big bin like normal ?? I wonder if this Is why I never see these little green bins being used hmm

TheSpottedZebra Tue 07-Feb-17 23:07:34

We have a little kitchen caddy and empty that into the bigger 'green bin' that is collected by the bin lorries.

I just line my kitchen caddy with newspaper, and empty it regularly into the bigger bin - which I've also lined with newspaper. And wash the kitchen caddy every other day or so.

Bedsheets4knickers Tue 07-Feb-17 23:08:07

Aw it's ok , it goes into the garden waste bin that gets emptied each week . Just read our local counsel website .

vvviola Tue 07-Feb-17 23:10:38

Food bin in the kitchen has a compostable bag. It's tied and put into large wheelie bin outside which also has a compostable liner.

(Both sizes of liner available in our local Aldi, although bin company supplies the large one for now )

wheezles Wed 08-Feb-17 11:59:02

I use a little caddy bin with little liners in my kitchen. Tie up bag and put into the bigger food waste bin which has a bigger liner in, and this goes out once a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now