Talk

Advanced search

Do you use furniture polish?

(9 Posts)
user1486467354 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:44:55

I haven't used spray polish for years as I find the fumes not very nice. So I now use polish wipes and dust inbetween. However, I sometimes think a good proper spray polish will make the furniture shine more. I have heard that some people never use polish at all.

Chasingsquirrels Tue 07-Feb-17 19:46:04

I just use a damp cloth to collect the dust. No products.

wowfudge Tue 07-Feb-17 20:00:49

I only use proper polish on our dining table. Most spray polish is full of silicone and stuff that just builds up on the surface rather than doing anything beneficial. Unless you have solid wood furniture, a damp duster is better.

brexitstinks Tue 07-Feb-17 20:43:24

I occasionally use a Method polish on some old ercol stuff that really needs polish, but not on anything else.

Treewall Tue 07-Feb-17 21:01:56

Only on a vintage coffee table as it seems to need it. Everything else (Ikea etc) just a damp cloth.

e1y1 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:09:32

I use "Polish" (as in the Pledge Multi Surface stuff, not the one aimed at wood).

I use it on practically everything - wood furniture, glass tables/tv stands - even been known to give the cooker (black glass hob) and appliances (chrome) a going over after their normal cleaning blush.

I find it really does repel the dust longer, if I use say glass cleaner or standard all purpose cleaner on things like furniture, it does get dusty again quicker.

squiz81 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:41:51

No. I have got some of the rub in type polish, and I'll occasionally do the wooden furniture with it. But I don't bother with the spray stuff. To be honest I hardly ever dust, I just put the brush attachment on the vacuum and suck it all up!

Splooter Wed 08-Feb-17 12:01:38

I use a damp microfibre cloth on everything apart from a very good wood dining table. I used this silicone free polish www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=251095871

wood silk non-silicone polish

rabbit123 Wed 08-Feb-17 16:45:29

No, I either dust with the soft brush on the vacuum or use a damp cloth. On solid wood furniture, I use proper beeswax which is cheap, natural and better for the wood. But I only use it once every 6 months or so. An antiques dealer once told me that you can over-polish and it ruins the furniture and people tend to get "dusting" and "polishing" mixed up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now