Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning a stained shower

(4 Posts)
AmyAmoeba Tue 07-Feb-17 12:53:59

I'm sure this has been done before but I need a quick answer.

I'm helping out with an elderly relative and the housework has got on top of her in the last few years. It's not manky by any means but she hasn't done a proper deep clean for years. The shower in the bathroom has orange stains on the white plastic shower tray and yellowy- orange stains in the grouting. Any thoughts on how to remove?

It doesn't look like dirt as much as staining so I'm reluctant to start spraying with a product without an idea of what might have caused it. It's not a hard water area if that matters.

Really appreciate any tips as I'm only here til this evening.

Twopeapods Tue 07-Feb-17 14:21:49

The pinky orange stuff is usually mould? I just bought astonish mould killer and it's amazing. I actually sprayed it round my windows as their was mould and I left it all day and at the end of the day it was all gone. So I tried it in my shower and it worked great as well. It didn't ruin my walls and paint so maybe worth a try?

Sgtmajormummy Tue 07-Feb-17 14:35:39

Yes, pink stains in crevices are the start of mould so a spray of bleach left on for an hour then scrubbed is fine.
For the shower tray I'd use a kitchen gel bleach product and scrub it well around.

I have used toilet duck limescale remover neat but well spread on manky porcelain shower trays (moving in when the place had been empty for 2yrs). It worked a treat, but I wouldn't be so brave with plastic!

AmyAmoeba Tue 07-Feb-17 15:19:55

Thanks! Assumed mould was either black or green! Just used up all her bleach so a quick run to the shop for supplies. When I was a child I remember her being so house proud! Sad to see it getting run down.
Thanks for the tips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now