Talk

Advanced search

"Kind" laundry wihitener

(13 Posts)
FengHuang Mon 06-Feb-17 14:55:36

Any recommendations for whitening laundry when eczema is an issue?
I'm sick of sending the little darlings to school looking like Victorian urchins.

The best hmm advice I've seen so far is "Don't buy whites ever again 'cos they're never going to be white". Obviously advice from someone who's never had kids who needed school uniform. gin
(I know how traditional laundry whiteners work, and every organic / healthy / tree hugging laudry porduct ever conceived is made of chemicals shock, so no need to go there. wink)

JayneW63 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:28:15

I don't have eczema, but relatives do, and as a family we've switched to this www.enjo.com/html/uk/products/enjo-products/cleaners/washing-revolution-1000ml_3000ml/view

Having said that,
for white whites, I'd go for a hot wash, and sunlight.

FengHuang Mon 06-Feb-17 21:44:01

Clean isn't a problem. It's just 10 shades of grey, and not one of them is close to white.
Maybe it'll get better when there is some sunlight. (Or Trump/Putin/Kim presses the Big Red Button.)

JayneW63 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:55:25

what about lemon juice? I'm assuming it's a cotton poly mix.

long soak, hot wash.

FengHuang Tue 07-Feb-17 11:36:41

Some are polycotton, some are 100% cotton.
Haven't thought of lemon juice.
Stupid question 1) Straight for a lemon, or a bottle of Jif or something?
Stupid question 2) Does it actually get whites whiter?

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Tue 07-Feb-17 11:39:45

I add cover laundry bleach to my whites.

Sunlight is the best of course. Plenty today when I'm working from home and don't have any whites to wash ...

RedBugMug Tue 07-Feb-17 11:42:03

I would use laundry whitener and then re-wash without detergent for a good rinse.
and lower your standard...
whoever decided that white is a sensible colour for school uniform deserves to do all the laundry of the world

misscph1973 Tue 07-Feb-17 11:53:10

Are you careful with only washing whites together, no other colours?

Are you using the minimum recommended amount of laundry powder? The residue could be the culprit.

Could it be a buildup of fabric conditioner and/or limescale? Try using vinegar instead of fabric softener. Fill to the max. The smell will evaporate!

Also, you can try adding soda crystals or bicarb to the laundry powder.

In my experience, polyester and polycotton does not wash well. Once it's no longer white, that's it.

FengHuang Tue 07-Feb-17 22:48:53

Noted.
(Not sure of the chemistry if using acid or base can have the sameeffect.)

JayneW63 Wed 08-Feb-17 17:21:18

Re lemon juice, I know it bleaches hair!!

I was trying to think outside the box of chlorine based bleaches, or even Hydrogen per oxide, lemons, jiff, I happen to have some cosmetic grade Citric acid, I think I'd use what ever was to hand as a pre soak.

FengHuang Thu 09-Feb-17 10:03:00

Thanks

JayneW63 Thu 09-Feb-17 11:35:35

Let us know how you get on.

hairymuffet Sat 11-Feb-17 23:51:27

Napisan ?? Then rinse twice ??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now