Talk

Advanced search

Fascinating laundry question, honestly it's scintillating

(14 Posts)
TimTamTerrier Thu 02-Feb-17 22:51:12

Ok, I lied. When I was putting diesel in the car today there was a huge gust of wind as I took the nozzle out of the car and a few drops blew onto my jumper/tunic. I've washed it but it still smells of diesel, although not as strongly as it did. What should I try next? It's wool so it needs a cool, gentle wash.

TIA

wobblywonderwoman Thu 02-Feb-17 22:52:54

Few drops of white vinegar

NapQueen Thu 02-Feb-17 22:52:57

Febreeze?

Chanel no.5?

Make one of your dc wear it for three days straight then it will just smell like them

JohnLapsleyParlabane Thu 02-Feb-17 22:53:17

If it hasn't marked then can you just air it outside? Otherwise, dilute vodka is brilliant at getting smells out, you spray it on like febreeze.

TimTamTerrier Thu 02-Feb-17 22:57:20

I have white vinegar so I'll give it a wash with that tomorrow. No chance of airing it outside at the moment, unless pissing down rain is good for getting rid of smells.

I don't think I have any vodka, but that can be easily remedied. It'll probably have to be good stuff as I don't like cheap vodka so it would just sit in the cupboard forever and be wasted unless it's good enough to be drunk. grin

Thanks.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 02-Feb-17 23:51:37

Well it's oil-based so I'd probably treat it like oil-based paint - ie, white spirit then detergent (Fairy Liquid rather than eco-style). I very much doubt chucking white vinegar in the wash will achieve anything.
A quick google recommends pre-treating with 'your favourite stain remover.' You can always come back and try the white soirit/detergent thing after seeing the outcome of the usrless white vinegar. It shouldn't be too late even if the stain has been washed and dried again.

AuditAngel Fri 03-Feb-17 00:02:11

I would try washing up liquid to remove the oil/grease effect

TimTamTerrier Fri 03-Feb-17 08:28:43

There's no stain as far as I can see, it's a dark-ish grey jumper. It's just the smell that's bothering me.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 03-Feb-17 22:40:31

Probs Fairy liquid would do but not if you can't find the spot where rhe diesel is.
Doesn't seem to be one failsafe method jusging by this.

ppeatfruit Sat 04-Feb-17 13:16:56

Shotgun White vinegar is not useless . BUT it needs a hight temperature to work well. Though I find it's quite good at 40. I hate and am allergic to those highly chemically perfumed products . so I always use it for neutralising smells like B.O. etc. it WORKS !!

So sorry OP no good in woollen washes. Try bicarb of soda , it's gentler.

TimTamTerrier Sat 04-Feb-17 13:29:40

Do you just put bicarb of soda into the powder drawer, or should I mix it with some water first?

Sgtmajormummy Sat 04-Feb-17 13:37:17

Talcum powder blown into the general area, left for a couple of hours and then shaken out should soak up any oil and give a nice "granny" smell to your top, dearie.
grin

ppeatfruit Sat 04-Feb-17 13:39:12

I would mix it with some water and gently 'rub' it where you think it smells, then wash it as normal.

picklemepopcorn Sat 04-Feb-17 13:43:09

Sprinkle bicarb onto the area and leave it a moment. Give it a pat to get the powder through the jumper. Do from the other side too, leave a day, squirt with white vinegar and wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now