Talk

Advanced search

KonMari tidying - anyone done it?

(28 Posts)
Blogwoman Tue 31-Jan-17 21:45:20

I've picked up the Marie Kondo book The Lifechanging Magic of Tidying, which seems to be pretty popular. For those who haven't read it, the principles seem to be: tidy by category not location; decide what you want to keep (does the item bring you joy?) and discard everything else, then decide where to put the things you're keeping.

I can see the logic of dealing with a category of things in one go, as they may be spread in different locations & you need to see the full amount. I'm temped to try it. But has anyone here done it? How well did it work? Did you manage to apply the principles to the categories of stuff she doesn't talk about? Interested to hear your experiences.

phoolani Tue 31-Jan-17 21:49:33

I did. It's pretty good. The main thing for me was it changes the basic question 'how much do I have space to store?' To 'what do I want to store?' It worked really well for me with clothes, shoes and paperwork. Some of it was too ott for me - I refuse to thank my socks - but I do find its effects have lasted in terms of when I'm buying things, too. I always think 'does this give me joy?' And if it doesn't (which is surprisingly often), I don't buy it.

LuxuryWoman2017 Tue 31-Jan-17 21:53:23

Yes I have and it has changed the way I see my home and possessions.
I will always love nice things and lots of them, but no longer hold onto crap 'just in case' or buy random rubbish.

I have empty kitchen drawers and cupboards, not ones stuffed with old wires and spent batteries.

I don't thank my socks though.

Blogwoman Tue 31-Jan-17 21:55:26

phoolani she lost me a bit when she started talking about our socks being on holiday when they're in the drawer & needing to relax 🙄 But yes it makes sense to shift the emphasis to what you want to store rather than where/how.

phoolani Tue 31-Jan-17 21:58:35

You know, it's not like I don't appreciate my socks. I really do. But I think they know it without it being said 😬

Blogwoman Tue 31-Jan-17 22:23:01

That's going to be one of my challenges I think Luxury, not keeping stuff just in case. I'm a bit horrified at all her talk of large numbers of bin bags - I hope those mostly went to charity shops & recycling facilities & not landfill!

LuxuryWoman2017 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:36:50

We practically restocked the cancer research shop for them I think, gave lots away and we hired a skip too which had a lot taken from it, I deliberately put the better stuff on top for that purpose. Skip companies sell and recycle what they can too as tip charges are so steep.

I'm in the Facebook km group and while we say throw out or discard it's shorthand for charity donations mainly, we say get rid of but don't specify how. Obviously some stuff does get binned but once it's done its done and hopefully that junk wont accumulate again.

Blogwoman Tue 31-Jan-17 22:58:41

Ooh I'll take a look at the Facebook group. Have you finished your KM tidying Lovely & phoolani?

phoolani Tue 31-Jan-17 23:37:23

I never really finished, as in finished going through each item in the book, but I do find I still do it if I'm tidying anything. So I just finished sorting the kitchen and I used the basic principle for everything I came across, and got rid of a similar amount of stuff as when I was doing it category by category. And as I said, it's as useful for stuff you're considering bringing into the house; I've avoided many a purchase using it. You do feel great when you do it 'full on' though and you can , for example, suddenly actually see the clothes you really like because you've got rid of all the 'maybe' stuff.

LuxuryWoman2017 Wed 01-Feb-17 08:17:17

I've finished as in I have no random crap anymore, like tatty old clothes and undies or piles of takeaway menus - I don't have the 'drawers of doom' or an understairs cupboard full of junk. Neither is my loft crammed with stuff, it's simply our Christmas decorations up there now.

It feels great but is has been hard work, very liberating too, especially to have neat files of paperwork I actually need rather than 19 year old bank statements stuffed in drawers.

With a family and growing kids you have to keep mindful of the process as obviously children grow out of clothes and toys, and our own clothes wear out and need replacing, it helps you to not keep the old stuff.

It's also helped me not hang on to things 'for best' so now I wear my expensive perfume and better clothes and use the best china which makes life nicer in a small way on a day to day basis. Many people continue to drink from the chipped mug and keep their Dior perfume for high days and holidays (then it goes off) so you kind o treat yourself a bit better and also only buy things you really love, not things that 'will do'

In that way it saves cash, I don't spend £10 on Poundland stuff anymore just because it's just a pound and that spreads through te rest of my shopping - good enough is no longer good enough.

It's very freeing to open the wardrobe and know all the clothes will make you feel good.

The FB groups are excellent for inspiration and support - I'm in Kon Marie UK, there are sub groups for shopping ideas and purists.

Marie Kondo has a slightly bonkers tone in the book but if you can get past that it makes a lot of sense, athough her word is not 'law' and I still hang most of my clothes as that works best for me.

Blimey that was a bit of an essay!

Blogwoman Wed 01-Feb-17 08:22:03

Thank you both - really useful insights & the nudge I need to give it a go! Great to think it has changed your buying habits and also improved life day-to-day. I agree that we should enjoy our nice things every day too.

PlayAtMidnight2 Thu 02-Feb-17 10:47:19

I've been doing it for the last 9 months while I've been on maternity leave. I am nearly done, just a few bits and then the sentimental category to go. I am on the Konmari UK facebook group as well, very inspiring as there are lots of photos. I've had goodness knows how many goes at decluttering before (I am quite tidy but DH is not, and hates to throw anything out) but this is the first time I've felt like there will be a lasting difference. I've noticed over the last month or so I'm less stressed, especially with DH, finding housework much less of a chore, and generally feeling happier and 'lighter' than I have in a good few years. It's hard work, and unless you have very little stuff it's not the work of a day (MK suggests 6 months for the full process) but I would totally recommend it! smile

PlayAtMidnight2 Thu 02-Feb-17 10:55:14

Oh, to add in answer to your question about categories she doesn't mention, I've had to deviate from the method with toys as I have 3 young DC, one of whom in particular wants to keep everything. So I cull off artwork myself, have put really special bits to deal with in sentimental, stuff they've outgrown or don't play with I've put in the loft, if not asked for within 6 months it's off to the charity shop. The kid's stuff will be much more of a recurring process as they outgrow toys and clothes. I also go through the remaining bits that I think they will want to keep with the 5 and 4 year olds as sometimes they will surprise me by wanting to discard things themselves.

Also I've tried to charity/sell/recycle wherever possible.

gingerhousecat Thu 02-Feb-17 14:56:06

Really want to try this myself. I'm a bit of a hoarder, organised chaos sort of person and a charity shop trawler to boot. Have got better in recent years but find 'stuff' is suffocating me! Will have a look on the FB page

LuxuryWoman2017 Thu 02-Feb-17 15:07:13

Try to get the book Gingerhousecat it is a very easy read but will give you all the info you need. there isan audio version too and plenty of you-tube videos.
You have 'stuffocation' ! To have a place for everything, and to know your home only holds the things that are useful or that you truly love is incredibly liberating and freeing.

Blogwoman Thu 02-Feb-17 22:14:46

Interested in all your replies. Has anyone done clever things with DCs artwork? I heard about someone cutting circles from their children's drawings and making a collage or something, but didn't see it. I'm quite looking forward to getting started - I can see clothes might be the easiest.

LuxuryWoman2017 Fri 03-Feb-17 08:10:53

Clothes was easiest for me, my daughter is older re - the artwork but yes I have seen people frame collages.

People get worried about paperwork the most but actually I found it fairly easy and a great relief to finally dump 25 year old mortgage statements.

Wires and chargers were a challenge, it took a while to match them to devices - amazing how many USB & Ethernet cables we had. Same with old pots of paint, we had loads.

I think you have to bear in mind, it's not about minimalism although lots of people aim for that. It's perfectly ok to keep 400 books if you love them, or 30 vintage dresses you adore, or 100 pairs of earings you wear. We all have a 'thing' which might be DIY equipment, might be underwear, might be handbags, whatever.
But lots of us have 30 takeaway menus stuffed in drawers, along with spent batteries, half burned candles, shampoo bottles with an inch in them, 4 year worth of magazines, 25 cookbooks when we only use 3, 60 coffee mugs, many chipped - you get the idea.

Go for it, you've nothing to lose but the junk!

LaLaLolly Fri 03-Feb-17 09:46:58

Has anyone done clever things with DCs artwork?

Not clever, but I take pictures of every single thing they do (including junk models) and every now and then order printed book. I aim for oversized, plain white, minimalist pages to make the drawings and colours stand out and I think they look beautiful. Children love them too.

I only keep a few special pieces and sometimes frame them in the playroom.

LaLaLolly Fri 03-Feb-17 09:47:50

Here's some inspiration for Art Books.

Pretty

Newtssuitcase Fri 03-Feb-17 09:48:39

There are lots of ongoing Kondo threads in housekeeping if you take a look.

Blogwoman Fri 03-Feb-17 15:02:29

Oh that's great, thanks LaLaLolly - the books look great.

Thanks Newt I'll take a look

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:07:20

I did our house before we moved. I didn't do it exactly as she described as we didn't have the space. I am now about 6 months since doing it and starting to feel like I need another big blitz. I 've done odd bits of clearing but things are starting to build up again.

It's truly liberating to have empty space in drawers, cupboards, and shelves after having so much stuff everywhere.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 05-Feb-17 18:59:40

I'm just over half way through the book, and while I can't do category tidying, my room is looking good.

Look at my drawers! I only had a tidy out at Christmas and got rid of about six bin bags full of clothes - done another three today. Liberating.

Blogwoman Sun 05-Feb-17 19:31:45

Wow Felicia that looks good! I think I'm going to have to wait until the summer to do this properly, but may be able to do clothes and a couple of manageable categories before that. It's pretty appealing.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 05-Feb-17 19:45:24

I have been completely ruthless with clothing. I've been working towards a capsule wardrobe for the better part of a year now, so now I have three large drawers, half a wardrobe, and two wire drawers with stuff in. The stuff I lobbed today I haven't worn in ages as I and purposely put it away to see if I missed it a few months ago. I didn't, so it's out.

I still have about 15 pairs of jeans, but my style is on the casual side and my weight varies drastically at times so I need it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now