Talk

Advanced search

Curtain length

(8 Posts)
acquiescence Tue 31-Jan-17 15:54:26

I have bought some new curtains for our living room. I had planned on turning them up so they would be just below the sill as there is a radiator under the window. They are currently around 6 inches above the floor and 12 inches below the sill. I think the length looks odd and am wishing I got floor length ones now.

Does anyone have curtains that fall between the window and floor? Does it look weird and should I shorten or get used to it? I'll try and attach a photo.

Help please!

acquiescence Tue 31-Jan-17 15:55:45

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Tue 31-Jan-17 16:00:38

To me that looks like you have bought the wrong length of curtains. They need tone shortened. It doesn't look like a style statement, sorry.

(I did just that when the curtains ie anted were only available in a longer length.)

Chasingsquirrels Tue 31-Jan-17 16:06:38

I've got a couple of pairs that length - off the shelf as that's the size they were.

1 set above a similar radiator, dining room. They stay open with tie backs in summer and look fine. In winter I put them behind the radiator. Could really do with shortening for ease of use but I think they look fine. Having said that I never have them closed in front of the radiator and we don't use the room much.

1 set don't have a radiator underneath, again I think they look fine. I initially thought about shortening them but I like them as they are. Have v recently put a corner sofa along that window an and going to get them shortened to the top of the sofa as now they don't fit and I don't want the sofa pulled out a foot so they can go behind.

I wouldn't say either are in any way a style statement though!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 31-Jan-17 16:07:56

I would take them up or get a floor length pair.

wowfudge Tue 31-Jan-17 16:52:22

Take them up - they should hang just below the sill so the heat from the radiator doesn't go up behind them.

PickAChew Tue 31-Jan-17 17:00:22

I'd take them up.

I have a wide window above a radiator and the off the shelf 137cm length is a nice fit. Getting them wide enough is a little more complicated, mind!

acquiescence Tue 31-Jan-17 21:11:52

Thanks all. You have confirmed my initial thoughts, I will turn them up, or possibly think about getting some floor length ones as they weren't expensive! I will measure properly and think it through a bit more next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now