Talk

Advanced search

okay baby vomit fast soaking into a leather sofa - any ideas?

(16 Posts)
FirstAtForty Sun 25-Feb-07 19:29:13

I've finished mopping up the baby and myself, now to the sofa.

I'd say about a 3oz worth of very liquidy vomit landed on the sofa itself, I've blotted up as much as poss with kitchen roll but am now a bit concerned about the smell.

The leather (did have) a nice, soft, suedy finish... was bought before I had even a suspicion of ever being pregnant btw.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

foxtrot Sun 25-Feb-07 19:31:04

Baby wipes work on smooth leather, not sure about suede though.

Twiglett Sun 25-Feb-07 19:31:53

I'm sorry but I read that and thought its leather, wipe it

but patently a soft, suedy finish .. eek .. and a baby .. double eek .. would gently rubbing the entire cushion with a wet sponge totally destroy it ?

FirstAtForty Sun 25-Feb-07 20:24:10

Will try baby wipes, thanks, can't do any harm. Wetting it wouldn't harm it either, it's a weird sort of leather that seems to just absorb all manner of stuff, it's quite mottled already so doesn't stain.

To look at it now you would think nothing had happened I'm just a bit concerned that in a few days time we will have revenge of the vomit and a reeky lounge.

PanicPants Sun 25-Feb-07 20:26:41

Would fabreeze damage it? You can get an antibac version which should neutralise the smell.

Calliope Sun 25-Feb-07 20:28:07

I have an armchair with a mock-suede-type finish and baby wipes always work on it. Can't vouch for real leather though!

if it starts to smell try sprinkling it with bicarbonate of soda, leave overnight and vacuum off.

Twiglett Sun 25-Feb-07 21:32:40

if its smell you're bothered about I wouldn't worry

baby vomit barely smells

or put a few drops of vinegar in a bowl of warm water and leave it in room over night .. that'll work for real vomit smell

FirstAtForty Mon 26-Feb-07 14:50:22

Thanks v much for the suggestions, will give it an experimental sniff when I get home this eve and go from there!

MamaG Mon 26-Feb-07 14:54:37

DON'T use baby wipes

my sofa-man told me NEVER to use on a leather sofa or a suede sofa

ring shop and ask for advice

(are you Moonbeam btw?)

bobsyouruncle Mon 26-Feb-07 15:45:55

Oh no why not use baby wipes, I use them on my leather sofa every day!?

MamaG Mon 26-Feb-07 15:46:57

apparently its ok for processed leather (grainy) but for natural leather (mine) or suede baby wipes will mark even worse!

if you've been using baby wipes and sofa is fine, don't worry

bobsyouruncle Mon 26-Feb-07 15:55:15

Phew

bobsyouruncle Mon 26-Feb-07 16:28:09

Hang on though - my leather sofa is PROCESSED!? Surely not, even my chicken nuggets are homemade...

MamaG Mon 26-Feb-07 16:35:17

lol

FirstAtForty Mon 26-Feb-07 21:11:58

hmm not sure whether it's processed or natural, but it's scarily absorbent. All trace seems to have disappeared , with no discernable smell as yet (well no worse smell than usual anyway)... so panic over I suppose, till the next digestive assault!

I'm not Moonbeam btw MamaG, if it was me you were asking

MamaG Tue 27-Feb-07 08:59:51

lol ok - it was you I was asking, must hav the wrong forty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now