Talk

Advanced search

Henry Hoover...why?

(47 Posts)
Mehfruittea Fri 27-Jan-17 09:52:13

I have a dyson pet hair hoover and thought it was the best one I could get. I've noticed my cleaner has a Henry that she brings with her. I only ever see Henry being used for work purposes, in the office, at the gym, car valeters in supermarket car park etc.

So do professional cleaners choose Henry because he is actually the best? What's your experience?

PurpleDaisies Fri 27-Jan-17 09:55:29

We have a Henry. I love him. The suction is great, the bag capacity is really good and I like his cheeky smile.

Mehfruittea Fri 27-Jan-17 10:19:43

Have you had other hoovers to compare him to? I'm a bit of a hoover whore and have had many in my time, but never Henry.

He does have a nice smile... grin

PurpleDaisies Fri 27-Jan-17 10:21:32

Yes, we had an upright Hoover which was rubbish. Lots of love for Henry on vacuum cleaner threads. Miele and sebo (I think) also get good reviews.

LauraPalmersBodybag Fri 27-Jan-17 10:22:56

My FIL runs an independent shop selling kitchen and home goods. He gave us a Henry Hoover as he said its the most reliable one for the price. He refuses to stock Dyson.

MrsEricBana Fri 27-Jan-17 10:27:47

Off point I know, but cordless Dyson thingo has changed my life (saddo). Yes I agree Henrys are everywhere. DIY mad neighbour likes the pink one and says it has Hepaflo bags which filter out more particulates before expelling the sucked in air again. However, this is a slight misnomer as Hepaflo bag is NOT the same as having a hepafilter - I put a hepafilter in my Miele Cat & Dog Plus after horrific incident with builder and this is good. (I am self proclaimed hoover expert grin)

kiwiscantfly Fri 27-Jan-17 10:30:41

I love Henry, he (in my head) has a northern accent, and loves to chat. Not the best at cornering, but he's very sucky. Especially when he has a fresh bag. My cleaner loves him too, if that's any consolation.

Mehfruittea Fri 27-Jan-17 10:32:20

Woah wtf is hepaflow?? I have handheld dyson and LOVE ❤️ it. But need an upright too, so I bought his big brother. Now I'm noticing Henry is where it's at...and have wasted my money!

Is he better than a Dyson then? DH thinks he looks smug.

FearTheLiving Fri 27-Jan-17 10:32:43

I have a hetty. She's great but due a filter change as she smells quite a bit.

LittleBoat Fri 27-Jan-17 10:33:44

Henry is a glory grabbing attention seeker. He is the favourite child. Poor Hetty never gets a mention.

blibblibs Fri 27-Jan-17 10:36:10

I used to have a Henry and he was the worst Hoover I've ever had. It was a joyful day when I chucked him in the skip.

LittleBoat Fri 27-Jan-17 10:36:32

OMG - I've just googled and found out there are 3 little brothers too!

James, Charles and George.

Odd family!

PurpleDaisies Fri 27-Jan-17 10:37:38

little you might like this...
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-30378225

Scaffleen Fri 27-Jan-17 10:38:56

I have a Henry and I hate him. I think he's the best for that price bracket though. If I could afford a dyson or Miele I would have them.

LittleBoat Fri 27-Jan-17 10:41:29

Ha, that's brilliant Purple.

I would love to see the New Years Eve Party one. grin

Mehfruittea Fri 27-Jan-17 10:44:33

Ok I understand now. So it's a price bracket thing and perhaps he's best for the professional side of things in terms of resilience? Henry can take the abuse dished out by employees who don't have to replace him? <feels sorry for him and now considering adoption of old Henry>

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:46:36

I think Henry's get used so much in the commercial industry because they're pretty reliable, great on hard floors (carpets are a different story) and they have a really long cord so you don't have to unplug every few metres. It's also really easy and relatively cheap to source spare parts.

For the home there are probably better ones. My Henry is 10 years old and when he finally goes I think I'll be getting something different.

TheFlis12345 Fri 27-Jan-17 10:47:19

Henrys have great suction and last forever. Ours is over 10 years old and apart from a few scuffs, good as new!

Girliefriendlikesflowers Fri 27-Jan-17 10:47:37

I have a Henry and haven't been that impressed tbh, my dyson was better but henry will have to do until I can afford something better. He is very good at cleaning the car out though.

LittleBoat Fri 27-Jan-17 10:48:39

Just for the record, I have a Dyson and a Miele (cat and dog). The Dyson (DC02) is about 22 years old and still going strong. We use it for plaster dust / building work etc.

The Miele, I don't like it, as it costs a fortune in filters and gets very hot. But, it does have a good strong suck.

MrsEricBana Fri 27-Jan-17 10:50:40

The best thing about having a Henry is you can call him "he". I can't do that with my Dyson as would be all kinds of wrong (though I do call my Fastigated Hornbeam he and that's fine obv)

MrsEricBana Fri 27-Jan-17 10:52:25

(even though "he" is both male and female at once in fact. I'll shut up now)

TalbotAMan Fri 27-Jan-17 10:54:24

It's a bit horses for courses. We have a Henry (the more powerful model) a Dyson handheld and two Roombas (aka Frank and Stein). Henrys are powerful and tough and can do the really nasty jobs like clearing up after builders. The downside is that it is a bit heavy. The Dyson sits there ready to go and takes care of the small stuff that it is too much of a pain to set Henry up to do. The Roombas get put in empty rooms to go over them thoroughly, but of course can't do anything above the floor, and if you are treating them properly need quite a lot of tlc in terms of cleaning out every few runs.

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Fri 27-Jan-17 11:16:51

I have a pet dyson and a cordless one (four kids and three Huskys!). We have also just got a Henry purely for the wood burner we've just had fitted. He's very robust and I don't think the ash and coal grit is going to kill him like it would my dyson.

EmGee Fri 27-Jan-17 11:38:53

I have posted about Henry before. Worst vacuum I've ever bought. I got carried away by all the positive reviews.

He's very heavy and cumbersome. A PITA to lug around after you as he often falls over. You can be sure he will bump into every wall possible. The suction is not that good - I have mainly tiled/wooden floors and sometimes I think the dust and dirt is just pushed about. Often have to put the vacuum brush directly on top of the dirt to hoover it up.

The cable always, always gets tangled up and caught round the wheels when I am tidying it away.

On the plus side:
It's great for hoovering up ash from the fire (after I have cleared it). You can hoover up debris from the garage and it won't clog/break anything. The cable is really long.

It's virtually indestructible. Which is a pain as I am stuck with him until he dies and I can at last get a Miele. Or Sebo.

In an ideal world, I would keep Henry for the really dirty work and get a nice, intuitive Miele for daily vacuuming inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now