Talk

Advanced search

Do you wash your ice cube tray?

(15 Posts)
RatherBeCrazy Wed 25-Jan-17 20:03:14

Settle a dispute with DH for me. When an ice cube tray has been emptied, I wash it before reusing. DH says I'm being ridiculous because it's frozen so any germs will die, and it's only water anyway. I'm right, right?

girlelephant Wed 25-Jan-17 20:06:35

I was ours

CremeEggThief Wed 25-Jan-17 20:08:04

I don't have one now, but I always did when I had one, and with a clean new sponge too, so no residue could be transferred.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 25-Jan-17 20:08:33

i don't think i have ever washed an ice tray.

FinallyHere Wed 25-Jan-17 20:12:22

Can confirm that i have never washed an ice cube tray.

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Wed 25-Jan-17 20:13:57

Of course you need to wash it. Freezing doesn't kill the bugs!

RatherBeCrazy Wed 25-Jan-17 20:37:35

cremegg that seems a bit OTT. Surely it's no worse than any other item for washing. I do think it has a certain smell about it though, it smells of frozen food. And there's usually a rough breadcrumb in there somewhere!

CremeEggThief Wed 25-Jan-17 21:16:51

Rather, don't get me started on washing up!wink I have rules, rules and more rules around it, and a lot of anxiety.

I even used to make my ice cubes with cooled boiled water, just to be on the safe side.

Brontebiscuits Wed 25-Jan-17 21:20:14

When we had them I didn't. I always remember our ice cube trays with stray frozen peas and a sprinkling of fish finger orange crumb in them as a child!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 25-Jan-17 21:21:18

Hell no! It's just water.

Of course if freezing pasta sauce or something it would be washed.

PickAChew Wed 25-Jan-17 21:23:12

Freezing doesn't kill germs, merely renders them dormant until they warm up again.

And anyhow, I find that unwashed ice cube trays aattract all sorts of stray crap out of the freezer and need a regular good wash, anyhow.

didireallysaythat Wed 25-Jan-17 21:29:10

No I don't wash. Germs ? Probably. But I don't sterilise our drinking glasses...

memyselfandaye Wed 25-Jan-17 21:33:48

When I used them I used to rinse them under the hot tap.

Now I buy crushed ice, £1 for 2 kilos, I hate running out of ice and those little trays are a pita to fill and find a flat space for every day.

Diamondsandpears Wed 25-Jan-17 21:35:07

Yes

dudsville Wed 25-Jan-17 21:39:05

I do, but not for fear of germs. We dont keep it in the freezer but under the sink ready to be used if guests are coming over. So it might be dusty and I doubt like the thought of trying to clean it so I stick it in the next dishwasher load.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now