Talk

Advanced search

Gas vs electric

(17 Posts)
Babasaclover Tue 24-Jan-17 20:36:06

Those that love to cook - any pros / cons for electric ovens? Had gas for last 11 years and love it so much - think things taste so nice out of a gas oven - also find it very controllable for bread etc. However just doing our kitchen and there are so many built in electric to choose from and I really still want gas which is so limiting. Am I missing something? What is so good about electric?!?

e1y1 Tue 24-Jan-17 23:42:22

I have always preferred electric, to the point I won't have a gas cooker, not 100% sure why, but I just really do not like gas cookers.

I have heard numerous times from different people that the best combination is electric oven and gas hob, more versatile and controllability apparently.

Hellmouth Tue 24-Jan-17 23:46:24

We use electric now and the only upside, in my opinion, is that it's easier to clean. For years I only cooked on gas and I kind of miss it. If you can, stick with gas!

savagehk Tue 24-Jan-17 23:51:33

We have electric oven and gas hob. I was never comfortable having a flame in an oven for some reason - kept thinking if I was using baking paper and it caught fire or something smile . Not sure on taste from a gas oven being any different? We had a gas one in one rental property, and I'm sure an electric oven would be as controllable as a gas one?

For hob, I'm much more in favour of gas than 'normal' electric, but I'm wanting to try induction.

Justthethreeofus Wed 25-Jan-17 00:49:07

Gas hob and electric oven. Find electric much easier for baking etc where you need it to be spot on with temperatures. Maybe I just had a shite gas one before.

Induction hob in our holiday home as no gas mains and although it's taken me a while to get used to it, I like it now. You need to have special pans though which can prove expensive and I'd still change it to gas if I had the choice.

specialsubject Wed 25-Jan-17 14:06:16

You do have a choice - LPG. Very cheap too, a 19kg bottle lasts us about 10 months of twice daily cooking.

I have an electric oven but was so pleased to get rid of the uncontrollable pan wrecking mess making electric hob.

Babasaclover Sat 28-Jan-17 09:54:07

Well I'm going to give it a go. Thanks for all your advice. I think there must be. Reason that they make so many gas vs electric so I'm gonna take a chance! Like the idea of been cooking and hopefully being able to cook Yorkshires on both shelves not just top. I'm buying two double ovens just in case so will in effect have two small and two big ovens. Excited!

Babasaclover Sat 28-Jan-17 09:54:46

So many electric that should have read. More electric made

Trills Sat 28-Jan-17 10:02:02

My ideal would be electric oven and gas hob, BUT I have heard many good things about induction hobs.

Babasaclover Sat 28-Jan-17 10:14:05

Yes trillls I will have gas hob. Can't get my head around induction. Also I have lovely copper bottom pots that my dear nan bought me who has now passed. I cannot part with them

ErrolTheDragon Sat 28-Jan-17 10:16:01

With an electric oven you can have a lot of different options in one box - fan, non-fan, top heat (good for things you want a bit of brown on the top), bottom heat (good for avoiding soggy bottom), grill (esp handy if you want to oven cook then finish off the top), and small ovens often have a microwave built in too. Not sure if gas ovens have quite this degree of flexibility?

Gas hobs are good, but I'm very pleased with my induction, once I'd resigned myself to buying a whole new set of pans. So easy to clean, safer.

ErrolTheDragon Sat 28-Jan-17 10:16:41

xpost - oh, if you've got lovely copperbottomed pans then def the gas hob!

OCSockOrphanage Sat 28-Jan-17 15:38:40

We talk about redoing our kitchen but the main sticking point would be the loss of our gas 'granny' cooker. The ovens are a bit small and it only has four rings, BUT it has an eye level grill which we use constantly rather than frying stuff. It's LPG as there's no mains gas here and it's cheap to run. None of the European companies that dominate the cooker business make gas appliances. I think I could get used to an induction hob and the NEFF ovens look great but losing the gas grill would reduce my 6'5" DH to tears. The discussion of modern kitchens founders on this point every time! If anybody has a suggestion I'd love to hear it!

ErrolTheDragon Sat 28-Jan-17 16:03:32

If you want high-level grill, rather than it being necessarily gas, then an electric double oven in a full length unit with a cupboard above and below will put the grill in the top oven at about 5 feet - you might be able to design the whole thing higher if you're tall too.

OCSockOrphanage Sat 28-Jan-17 16:26:00

Thanks, Errol, that was the conclusion I was coming to. Do you know how good the electric grills are/can be? My mum and DMiL both have them and neither has impressed.

CheshireChat Sat 28-Jan-17 16:31:53

I think the only places I've seen the eye level grill was in a clearance type store or second hand shops really.

Gas hob and electric oven all the way.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 29-Jan-17 11:34:02

The good thing about gas ovens is any fat burns off on the flame.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now