Talk

Advanced search

Which products are safe to clean the toilets with a septic tank/ waste management plant?

(16 Posts)
maggiso Tue 24-Jan-17 10:47:43

Hi. We have moved to a semi rural older house (requiring restoration). We have replaced the septic tank with a modern management system, and put in shiny new loos- one of which is beginning to stain, as I can't use loo blocks or toilet cleaner containing bleach. Obviously I have been cleaning with soap and a loo brush. I have also put sterident tablets down each loo regularly as I think this is safe. The loo that is staining is an inexpensive tiny one - the only one we could find to fit a very tight space, (and comply with building regs) - so likely of poorer quality. The water level in the pan drops slightly between use, so a ring is beginning to form, just above the water level.
What can I use to keep the loos looking nice (which won't damage the environment or septic system)? Which products and perhaps brushes do others use?

Thanks

specialsubject Tue 24-Jan-17 13:12:39

Without being indelicate, toilets should not stain. Sounds like you have form over function with dirt and limescale traps.

Clean with jif and a scrubber thing.

maggiso Tue 24-Jan-17 18:18:59

Thanks, I wasn't sure I could use JIF, but come to think of it I use it on work surfaces . The water (not mains) is very hard, so I think that is the problem. I am just afraid to use anything aimed at limescale removal. I have just been using an old toothbrush and soap. It was not a problem where we used to live despite never using bleach.

specialsubject Tue 24-Jan-17 19:29:38

Bring on the white vinegar!! Excellent for limescale shifting.

maggiso Tue 24-Jan-17 23:31:40

Thanks special- white vinegar must be ok. I'll get some and try that! Maybe the sterile the (which is alkali I think) is making things worse!

Sunnysidegold Wed 25-Jan-17 06:58:55

Ecover, method and bloo products are ok usually. Parazone too i think.most products if you google their faqs you should find out if they are suitable or not. We have hard water too.and one of our toilets seems.to attract limescale more than the other. The harpic dissolving tablets are safe to use and pretty good.

JayneW63 Wed 25-Jan-17 12:00:53

look into ENJO, I haven't used bleach down my loo for 7 months, or down the sinks. It keeps lime scale to a minimum, this morning I found a tiny little bit and used lemon juice just to whip it away, the last time I needed to do that was 2 months ago.

This might be a silly question , not having a septic tank, but does all the household water end up in it? baths, showers, etc.

maggiso Thu 26-Jan-17 09:32:42

Yes all household waste water - including washing up and washing. Wash loads are limited to a max of 2 a day.
Sunny side thanks - good idea to google individual products FAQ. In France products are marked if safe for use in households dependent on septic tanks but not in UK. I bought some ecover loo cleaner - so I'll check and use if safe. And I'll look out for Enjo- thanks Jayne. In the mean time lemon juice.
Thank you all.

Alwayscheerful Thu 26-Jan-17 09:46:17

Hope you don't mind me asking but which system did you replace your septic tank with? (Currently using a septic tank but it it will need replacing before we sell, due to new regulations). I use a lot of white vinegar for cleaning and liquid detergent in The washing machine rather than powder.

JayneW63 Thu 26-Jan-17 09:48:43

You are going to have to Google ENJO, it's one of those best kept secret things , it's not in the shop., Austrian, carbon neutral production, and only uses cold water so no chance of upsetting your natural flora and fauna.

Plus it works, I spent last night cleaning my sister's cooker, which is a puzzle as she introduced me to it, I'm thinking some one's been pulling a fast one here ))

maggiso Thu 26-Jan-17 23:23:38

Always we used Owls hall environmental.
I found some basic loo blocks that are marked safe for septic tanks (Asda30p for 2) although I don't know what they will do! Jayne I will Google ENJO.
I've bought some white wine vinegar - is this the same as white vinegar?

maggiso Thu 26-Jan-17 23:31:19

ENJO looks very interesting! Thank you!

JayneW63 Thu 26-Jan-17 23:41:23

white wine vinegar isn't the same , you want white distilled vinigar , sarsons do a big bottle, it's much cheaper than white wine. Which while I think it'll work it's better on salads

specialsubject Fri 27-Jan-17 12:13:38

yes, all household waste water ends up in the septic tank. You get a discount on your water bill as obviously you don't get the drainage element.

the cleaning material is white vinegar, I get mine from Wilko at £1 a bottle.

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 28-Jan-17 12:32:31

If you read the back of some products it's tells you if it's suitable for a septic tank. We have property abroad and have a drain away. So I have to be careful what I use to clean with. All our toilet waste , shower and sink goes in here so even shampoo etc I'm careful with. They do have products in this country ( no help here)

maggiso Sun 29-Jan-17 11:59:50

Thanks Special, drinks wine and Jayne, I'll try Wilko for white vinegar.
The ecover toilet cleaner does say it's safe for septic tanks. I looked at every bottle/ toilet product in Sainsburys tesco aldi and Asda without finding anything that said it was safe for septic tank use- and then found the ecover one I had brought with us from our old house was suitable after all!
I use microfibres cloths - and a steam mop for most routine cleaning, because of allergies- so it's good to see there is evidence that not using detergents can be better ( with the right cloth).
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now