Talk

Advanced search

Changing the bed - genius or gross?

(20 Posts)
HerdofAntilop Sun 22-Jan-17 14:25:56

I really struggle to keep on top of changing the beds. I've been trying to rethink household chores to make them easier to manage and it occurred to me the other day that I've never questioned the need to change a bed all in one go.

I adore the sensation of a fresh bed but that only lasts a night or two. So for me it would be easier to do a couple of pillows cases one day, a duvet cover another, a fitted sheet another etc. It would fit in better with my laundry as well because I wouldn't need to do a separate linens load.

Does anyone else do this?

gamerchick Sun 22-Jan-17 14:30:26

If that'll help just do it. It doesn't ripple my radar and I'm weird apparently about my need for regular bed changes.

scaryclown Sun 22-Jan-17 14:35:10

sounds good!

TheGoodEnoughWife Sun 22-Jan-17 14:37:53

I think it is a good idea. The fresh bed thing really only lasts one night so if it makes it easier for you then go for it!

Lweji Sun 22-Jan-17 14:38:33

Not for me as it would still mean I'd have to strip the bed. I'd rather do it all in one go and one full washing cycle.

HeyRoly Sun 22-Jan-17 14:39:23

I hate changing beds but I really don't see the need to spread the process out over a period of days, unless you have a disability or something? Just grit your teeth and do it. It takes ten minutes tops?

And from a practical point of view, you'd need to remember which bit you'd changed on which day, etc etc. But y'know, whatever works best for you I suppose!

Reality16 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:39:24

I couldn't be faffed doing it bit by bit. For me I would feel like I was just constantly changing my bed

notaflyingmonkey Sun 22-Jan-17 14:42:43

I'd forget which bit I'd done.

MauiChristmas Sun 22-Jan-17 14:45:48

I wash the bottom sheet and top pillow cases more often than I wash the duvet cover and bottom pillow cases.... I do it all together once every 10 days or so.

ivykaty44 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:47:58

I change all the bed clothing iN one go, but you don't need to wash all the bed clothing at the same time

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 22-Jan-17 14:49:58

Personally I would find it odd... clean parts on top of dirty and Vise versa.

I change one bed at a time to alleviate stress. So Sunday I do ours, Tuesday one dd, Thursday the other dd. Saturday I do the bathroom mats. smile

Drquin Sun 22-Jan-17 14:52:04

Go with what works for you. Some folk would probably find it more hassle than it was worth, just changing a 1/3 every now & again. I have different duvets sets, so wouldn't like mismatching pillowcases to duvet cover, but that's hardly the end of the world!

But, there's no rules on these things ......

hollinhurst84 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:53:12

I often change just the pillowcases and the bottom sheet and then the duvet on another day

HerdofAntilop Sun 22-Jan-17 14:56:21

Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I'm going to give it a go. Anything is better than our current system.

Heyroly - no not disabled but I physically struggle with making the bed as a result of battle scars from an old operation combined with unfitness. I also think I might have had mild depression since my little one was born (one now) so quite small chores can seen epic a lot of the time.

kel12345 Sun 22-Jan-17 14:57:47

I prefer to change beds all at the same time. I find it easier. But if doing it the other way works better for you, then do it

HerdofAntilop Sun 22-Jan-17 14:59:09

Drquin - I look forward to the day we have proper grown up matching bed linen (with no Disney themed pillow cases from my childhood)! Maybe then I'll do all at once changes!

sycamore54321 Sun 22-Jan-17 15:05:50

Try it out and see what works. I in think it 'gross' (as long as the intervals aren't too long) but it does seem like more work. To change only the sheet, you will have to haul the duvet off and then replace it, which for a person who doesn't like changing beds, seems an additional task.

I do a full change once a week but I also change my pillowcases at least twice weekly, or sometimes more. That gives the nice clean bed feeling with very little effort.

CornChips Sun 22-Jan-17 15:17:17

Don't know if this helps, but I change the Dcs bedding on Mondays and ours on Thursdays. We have a couple of sets of each and so it has just become routine.

bloodyteenagers Sun 22-Jan-17 15:29:17

I found ditching the quilt was the easiest. Takes minutes to change and no battling the quilt cover.
I have a cover on he mattress. I retained the old quilt covers and bought a decent faux fur throw. Have the duvet cover and then the throw over the top. Changing involves
Taking of the mattress sheet, putting on another one, getting a clean cover throwing that on the bed, with the throw over that. Change pillow cases. Job done.

Colder nights I just add another cover.

Jaxhog Sun 22-Jan-17 15:39:24

Have a sheet under the duvet. Then you don't need to change the duvet cover every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now