Talk

Advanced search

Best way to store Lego??

(22 Posts)
LittleGreyBear Thu 19-Jan-17 19:06:14

My DS has just turned 5 and now really into Lego.

What is the simplest and best way to store it?

Do all the sets end up getting mixed up? If so, how do you rebuild something when you can't find the pieces??

Any tips welcome! Maybe there is a genius idea out there?

Many thanks.

Mumteedum Thu 19-Jan-17 19:09:53

Overrun with plastic and tupper ware here. Will watch with interest. Ds also 5 and has serious lego habit! grin

LittleGreyBear Thu 19-Jan-17 19:50:41

Hopefully someone will be along soon!

penguincrumble Thu 19-Jan-17 19:57:14

Make a Lego table out of ikea trofast I think!

penguincrumble Thu 19-Jan-17 19:58:32

I want to say this is one I made, but I so clearly didn't. We're not at Lego stage yet. I've got my eye on it.

littleoctonauts Thu 19-Jan-17 20:04:19

I just put it in one tub with pics cut out from the boxes so you can work out how to make things.But we don't have lots of sets. How about snopake zippa bags? I have some in a4 and a3 that we use to store jigsaw puzzles

GlitteryFluff Thu 19-Jan-17 20:06:38

Trofast if you want it organised or if it can be all kept together one of those circle fabric mats that pull into a bag. I'll find a pic as not making myself clear..

GlitteryFluff Thu 19-Jan-17 20:07:23

This

MycatsaPirate Thu 19-Jan-17 20:09:12

DD has well in excess of 30 sets of lego, all made up, covers two dining tables and now taken over one of the display units in the living room!

However, ziplock bags are the way to go.

One bag - one set and include the instruction booklet. Then get plastic storage boxes which can slide under beds with the bags inside. You'll need various sizes of bags but it's definitely the easiest way to find the stuff you want.

MycatsaPirate Thu 19-Jan-17 20:12:33

This is just a fraction of it.

LittleGreyBear Thu 19-Jan-17 20:13:26

Thanks for these ideas. Some great ones!

Meffy Thu 19-Jan-17 20:14:24

I store ours in Henry the Hoover 😆

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Thu 19-Jan-17 20:14:36

Blatantly placemarking as we want to get some more lego at some point

BluePheasant Thu 19-Jan-17 20:16:27

I've got one of DD's Trofast drawers for Lego and the different sets kept in small tubs inside that, bigger bits and and the people and other generic bits just loose. I'm always torn though between just chucking it all in together to encourage making her own things up rather than only following the patterns verses keeping it all organised because if it takes too long to find all the bits for a certain design they get fed up of it!

PaulaBBB Thu 19-Jan-17 20:16:28

I keep DDs Lego in Tupperware type boxes that are colour coded, all the white pieces, black pieces, pink, etc then when you are making things it's easy enough to find the piece you are looking for. We then put the boxes inside an under bed roller box thing

Cheerybigbottom Thu 19-Jan-17 20:22:04

Ds has a 4 drawer plastic storage tower thing, very deep drawers. Bottom one is Lego, 2nd bottom one is Lego creations he has built and wants to keep with any instruction leaflets.

Typically, we build a set as per instruction and it lasts for a few days but he'll either improve it or take it completely apart and it just becomes bits for general making.

Ds is 5, so we just buy the odd branded Lego set and chuck in a tub of Wilkos pick n mix style Lego pieces and Lego sets.

The drawstring Lego playmat/bag above is available in big Wilkos too (their one obv) and is good, we use it for a marble run. smile

NannyR Thu 19-Jan-17 20:23:47

We went to a play date the other day where the mum had carefully separated and organised the lego into different colour bricks then put them in labelled boxes on a high shelf. The poor kid had to ask his mum to hand him each box as he built his model. Must have been a pain to clear up too!
We have one of the drawstring mats, they are brilliant, so easy to rummage around for pieces then just pull the string and it's all tidied up.

LittleGreyBear Thu 19-Jan-17 21:12:21

Thanks everyone.
I might start by keeping the sets in ziplock bags with the instructions and see how well that goes...!

OneWithTheForce Thu 19-Jan-17 21:23:32

30 Drawer Parts Storage [[Organiser Cabinet - White/Grey - FREE 2 Year Warranty ink{https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LF90SUG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_HjdDL8UV8nKYqwww.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LF90SUG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_HjdDL8UV8nKYq this}

I got this for DS but I actually wish I'd got something bigger or two of them. I'm going to order another one. We spent ages one day sorting everything into drawers by colour. He is really good and keeps it all very tidy.

BluePheasant Thu 19-Jan-17 21:38:37

I love the Trofast table idea, if only we had room for that. So much storage!

Sugarcoma Thu 19-Jan-17 23:17:53

You might be fighting a losing battle to keep the sets separate. When I was a kid we just had a giant box of lego. Now we have two Lego heads (www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/lego-bricks/c-827/lego-classic/p-3514/lego-storage-head-large/) but they're already full while the more expensive sets go back in their original box. But these are just the sets DH and I build!

Maybe keep the instruction booklets in a folder/accordion file and review every few months to see if they're being used then chuck as appropriate. Part of the fun of Lego is building your own thing without the instructions anyway smile

ChipmunkSundays Fri 20-Jan-17 08:31:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now