Talk

Advanced search

Heavily creased, delicate dress

(10 Posts)
GemmaB78 Wed 18-Jan-17 15:14:35

Help! How do I remove the creases from a very heavily creased, very delicate dress? It's made from viscose and polyester, and I terrified of going anywhere near it with an iron.

Does hanging in a very, steamy bathroom actually work, or is this something a drycleaners can resolve?

Fouetsage Wed 18-Jan-17 16:50:06

Was just going to suggest hanging it in a steamy bathroom! It's what I tend to do when unpacking clothes after a holiday that are creased but don't need washing. I suppose you could iron it if you put something between the iron and the fabric; eg a cotton teatowel

INeedNewShoes Wed 18-Jan-17 16:52:24

Steam! But you might need more than just a steamy bathroom.

Can you borrow a steamer from someone? The same steamer machines that people use to strip wall paper tend to come with an attachment for clothes.

CMOTDibbler Wed 18-Jan-17 16:54:05

Water test it first by putting a spot on the inside of the hem and check it doesn't mark or colour transfer when dabbed with a white cloth, and if OK, put it on a padded hanger and mist it very lightly with a plant spray before hanging in a steamy, warm, bathroom and make sure it dries completely before it touches anything else so all the weight of the dress is pulling it uncreased

TeaAndCake Thu 19-Jan-17 11:16:01

Has it been at the bottom of the ironing pile?

I would re-wash it (perhaps on its own) with the slowest spin speed, take it out of the machine promptly, give it a bloody good shake then dry it on a hanger.
Nothing I've ever washed and dried carefully has ever been creased beyond hope.

empirerecordsrocked Thu 19-Jan-17 11:19:08

I'd take it to the dry cleaners.

GemmaB78 Thu 19-Jan-17 12:15:49

TeaandCake - no, it's come through the post like this. I will very gingerly try the steam room, and if that doesn't work it's going to the dry cleaners. It's my wedding dress so I'm taking no chances!

TeaAndCake Thu 19-Jan-17 12:57:05

Ah, I see. Yes, I'd take it to the dry cleaners then and ask them to steam it then.

How is this dress going to look when you've had it on all day then if its horrendously creased when brand new out of the packaging?

Sorry, just had to question this.

GemmaB78 Thu 19-Jan-17 15:11:34

TeaAndCake - yes that is a slight concern but as long as it looks fine for the service and the photos, by the time everyone is drunk and has been flung around in the Ceilidh, I won't care!

TeaAndCake Thu 19-Jan-17 16:28:22

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now