Talk

Advanced search

Do you have 'garden shoes' kept by the back door?

(49 Posts)
Gameboy Wed 18-Jan-17 12:06:41

Am often popping out into garden - to feed birds, to put stuff in bins, pick herbs etc. Until recently I used to have slippers with rubber soles which were OK if they got a bit damp - easily wiped when I came in.
Got lovely new slippers for Christmas, but have material soles, so I need something to keep by the back door to change into.

DH has some suede slip-on things from Cotton Traders (old codger that he is!) www.cottontraders.com/lightweight-suede-slip-ons/invt/aq12190

Any suggestions?

TrustySnail Wed 18-Jan-17 12:08:46

I just downgrade my everyday flat shoes to 'garden shoes' when they get too shabby to wear anywhere else.

AccioNameChange Wed 18-Jan-17 12:11:47

I have Hunter (check me out wink) shoe welly things. Great for just slipping on quickly.

SpeakNoWords Wed 18-Jan-17 12:11:51

We have crocs of different sorts for this.

Bluntness100 Wed 18-Jan-17 12:12:01

Yup, I have a pair of green croc type things. Very unattractive but I kept ruining shoes etc so they do the job. 😃

Scentofwater Wed 18-Jan-17 12:15:06

Dutch DH so we have clogs, but the garden is big and muddy so wellies too.

Clogs are surprisingly warm and v easy to put on.

BaronessBomburst Wed 18-Jan-17 12:16:42

I have black leather clogs. They're communal in that DH and DM, when she's visiting, use them too.

e1y1 Wed 18-Jan-17 12:17:25

Yes we do, normally always crocs or flipflops/slip on beach sandals.

Have a few more pairs than we really need actually, however, every so often I put them through the washing machine to clean them up.

BaronessBomburst Wed 18-Jan-17 12:19:06

My clogs are Swedish. I bought them in the village DIY shop. In the Netherlands. grin

CMOTDibbler Wed 18-Jan-17 12:19:32

We have crocs. Conveniently I can shove my foot in my slipper boot into DH's crocs as well

Blingygolightly Wed 18-Jan-17 12:22:11

yes I have these garden clogs and a pair of wellies by the back door.

NightWanderer Wed 18-Jan-17 12:22:46

I have Crocs too. Easy to slip on to take the bins out etc.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 18-Jan-17 12:24:42

Garden clogs. Not Crocs because earth gets in the holes.

Pantah630 Wed 18-Jan-17 12:25:10

You need some back door shoes grin

SueGeneris Wed 18-Jan-17 12:25:24

Yes. Pair of cheap ballet flats from Asda.

TheSpottedZebra Wed 18-Jan-17 12:28:01

Also a pair of plastic garden clog things. But mine were as cheap as chips from lidl, or maybe Aldi. They're fine - quick to slip on, good grips and no holes on the side t for the damp to get in.

Twoevils Wed 18-Jan-17 12:28:31

Yes I have a pair of leather clogs. Don't know where that came from as they were handed on by my sister. They are great though and really comfy.

kippersandcurtains Wed 18-Jan-17 12:29:29

Yes I have backdoor shoes. I used to pop out in my hard soled slippers but there's too much risk of stepping on chicken shit so stopped that. Need to be slip-on and hands-free to get on or you won't bother.

sherbetpips Wed 18-Jan-17 12:29:46

As much as I hate plastic clogs we do have a pair next to the back door for trips outside. they are very useful but never to be seen outside the back garden!

EBearhug Wed 18-Jan-17 12:29:50

An old pair of flats.

FadedRed Wed 18-Jan-17 12:31:10

'Mock crocs' from Aldi. Cheap and easy to clean. We have a pair each, but DH keeps shoving his size nines into my much smaller ones, because he CBA to go to the other door, where he last his pair.

Sweepingchange Wed 18-Jan-17 12:34:11

Yes! We have this sort of thing.

Good points : hard wearing and comfortable and easy to slip on and off and also (the type we have anyway) have inner washable lining which I would recommend as they can get a bit whiffy otherwise.

Bad points: much heavier than I would ideally like and potential whiffiness aluded to above.

Whatever model you choose, I would recommend trying them on before purchase, because some are made as overshoes (so sizes are a bit wierd) and some are just far too heavy.

I must admit that I wouldn't automatically recommend Hunter either as dd bought some new Wellingtons from them recently and they split after very light use.

AlreadyGone Wed 18-Jan-17 12:34:43

I just have cheapo things from the garden centre.

AmeliaPeabody Wed 18-Jan-17 12:44:40

Yes. That's where the wellies live. Depending on how muddy it is I'll wear those or just some old ballet flats

HalfaFishFingerAndTwoPeas Wed 18-Jan-17 12:46:07

Yes. I have a glorious pair of purple crocs with a fleece lining.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now