Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

duvet that doesn't need a cover

(109 Posts)
pincie44 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:32:11

Hey Mums, I have been working on producing a duvet that doesn't need a cover. It has a microfibre filling and Egyptian cotton outer and you just put the whole thing in the washing machine, dry it (either hang it up or tumble it), and then put it straight back on the bed.

I am so passionate about my product that I am now blind to any problems. Does anyone have any obvious things that they think could be a drawback please?

And also, are there any bloggers that you follow that you think would be good for me to approach for getting it out there? I am a mum, but with grown up boys so a bit out of touch with the younger generation.

Thanks everyone - any advice gratefully received.

SILfoundmyusername Tue 17-Jan-17 23:37:56

Erm, not sure if this will stay.
But my double sized duvet barely fits in a modern washing machine. It comes out in the same folds it went in, so dirt/pubic hairs are still there when unfolded

PenguinsandPebbles Tue 17-Jan-17 23:40:52

Wouldn't be for me

I can't see how it would fit into a washing machine (or why I'd want the extra hassle of drying a duvet every week)
I like to iron my duvet covers
I change my duvet covers with the seasons/my mood

All in all sounds like a lot of extra work to me

Lalunya85 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:41:11

Might not dry in time to use it again in the evening. I dont have a dryer. Do I need two??

Reality16 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:41:13

So essentially just a padded blanket of which there are hundreds on the market?

buzzmoon Tue 17-Jan-17 23:44:52

I love buying new duvet covers, it can completely change the look and feel of the bedroom.

I applaud you for starting your own business but I just don't get it. Sorry.

I still have to wash/dry it so what am I saving? The 2 seconds it takes to put the cover back on?

buzzmoon Tue 17-Jan-17 23:46:05

Agree with reality too- isn't this just a quilt?

EagleIsland Tue 17-Jan-17 23:50:41

The product you are talking about is called a comforter, comes as complete bed sets

m.kohls.com/catalog/comforters-bedding-bed-bath.jsp?CN=Product:Comforters+Category:Bedding+Department:Bed%20%26%20Bath&kwid=p14826764944&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=_cat%3Abed%23inurl%3Abed&utm_campaign=DSA_Furniture&UTM_Adgroupid=58700001921627507&gclid=CKLXwJevytECFY5WDQodnQoJQw&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN-g8ZevytECFZVBNwod7pIL0Q

pincie44 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:53:34

all great comments, thanks.

To answer a few questions..re drying, it only takes a few hours, so no you wouldn't need 2.

Yes, I guess, just a padded blanket.

re changing to different styles, mine are plain to start but I will make them with different patterns but there won't be, obviously, the same amount of choice as you have with covers.

so all good points to ponder for me.
Keep them coming please!

PenguinsandPebbles Tue 17-Jan-17 23:55:52

A few hours once a week in a tumble dryer is a bloody long time!

pincie44 Tue 17-Jan-17 23:58:15

no, a few hours hanging up to dry ;)

EagleIsland Tue 17-Jan-17 23:58:40

Comforters we normally just change/wash with the bedding. Don't normally have a issue washing drying them but we have a top loading washer (USA)

Thinner and not as warm as a Dovet

BackforGood Wed 18-Jan-17 00:00:20

Agree with everyone else - aren't you just creating more problems by having to dry the quilt as well as the cover ? confused
Then you'd need an extra one to use when the one is drying.

Also, whenever I've washed a microfibre pillow, it has never been any good after it's washed.

WalkingDownTheRoad Wed 18-Jan-17 00:02:36

I can't bear washing duvets, and if they're natural fibres they take far longer than a few hours to dry without a dryer. I would never use a synthetic or part synthetic duvet or bed linen. I'm afraid I really can't see the point.

The product I would have liked when DC were regularly bedwetting was a breathable, washable, waterproof duvet cover, to go on the duvet under the regular covers so that I could avoid washing the bloody duvet itself.

storynanny Wed 18-Jan-17 00:03:48

Oh I already do this! I stitched a duvet cover on to my one tog and one on to my 4 tog quilts ( just ran the sewing machine around the edge) and wash and dry them out on the line in the summer. Not something I would consider for a heavier quilt though. Too long to dry. I don't have a tumble dryer so would need 2 in case it wasn't dry by bedtime.
Used to do it back in the day with cot quilts to save taking covers off/putting back on.

storynanny Wed 18-Jan-17 00:05:27

A heavier winter weight quilt would take longer to dry than a couple of hours with no tumble dryer surely?

pincie44 Wed 18-Jan-17 00:20:51

mine are not heavy, they are light. The official (lab tested) tog rating is 6.6 HOWEVER, we have all used them throughout 2 winters and they are still warm.

So, because it is not dense, it dries quickly and easily.

Actually, one of the tests I am currently running is that you can wash it, spin it out and then just lay it straight back on the bed, to dry. The sheet and mattress won't get damp because it lets the moisture up and out.

QuestionableMouse Wed 18-Jan-17 00:20:57

Won't it go lumpy after a few washes?

Will it come in different tog ratings? I can just about get a ten together double quilt in my washer but it never seems as clean as I'd like.

If you made these in a good range of colours I'd consider one. Not for the bed but for snuggling on the couch or to go over my legs when I'm studying.

pincie44 Wed 18-Jan-17 00:25:41

It may well come in other togs, as my product development continues. There are so many things to make! One of my other tests is to be able to put 2 together, one on top of the other.

Strangely, the filling I use is actually used in Arctic conditions, so it was strange that the tog came back that low. I think I am going to re-test!

pincie44 Wed 18-Jan-17 00:26:31

oh and no it won't go lumpy...the filling won't move at all, even with multiple launderings

PickAChew Wed 18-Jan-17 00:28:12

That owuld be a 0s style continental qult then?

A double one (never mind bigger) needs a whole load of washer space. I can wash 2 single duvet covers, plus a shitload of vests, pillowcases etc on a half load.

Out2pasture Wed 18-Jan-17 00:29:34

another north American with the comment that these are already available and called a comforter....

PickAChew Wed 18-Jan-17 00:29:40

And a sodding single duvet cover takes more than a "few" hours to dry, just hanging up, in our climate.

5OBalesofHay Wed 18-Jan-17 00:31:08

So each morning you put the whole thing in the wash rather than just covers shock

MardyGrave Wed 18-Jan-17 00:42:35

Can I ask what you feel the positives are of the product? Why you're so passionate about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now