Talk

Advanced search

Mouldy bits in bathroom - quick fix help!

(20 Posts)
ChorusLine69 Tue 17-Jan-17 11:38:16

Hi all, looking to sell our house and frantically doing jobs to get it market ready. Estate agent advised us to replace the seal stuff round the bath but we are running out of time. Scrubbing isn't budging it. Can anyone help with a quick solution to make it look more presentable?!

dangermouseisace Tue 17-Jan-17 12:01:05

there is no quick fix for that- it doesn't take long to rip it out and reseal though. You could have it done in an hour or so.

ChorusLine69 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:14:35

Oh great, thanks. I'll have a go at that. My DH said it would take hours to do but he does do things rather slowly!

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Tue 17-Jan-17 12:16:35

Just pour neat bleach on it and leave it for an hr or so.

Ruhrpott Tue 17-Jan-17 12:18:22

Use water and a drop of washing up liquid to smooth the new silicone out with your finger.

Ruhrpott Tue 17-Jan-17 12:19:21

Neat bleach onto kitchen roll and left against the mildly stuff overnight will also help a bit.

Ruhrpott Tue 17-Jan-17 12:20:17

Mouldy silicone not mildly!

butteriesplease Tue 17-Jan-17 12:20:54

don't strip it off! Nightmare task, especially if you are leaving anyway. Just pour over neat bleach, put cotton wool ontop to hold it there and leave for as long as poss. The mould isn't that bad so 2 hours is likely enough. Then rinse off.
I've done this, and I promise it really does work.

TheFlis12345 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:22:30

Mound and mildew spray will clear it in a few mins. Can't remember what brand we have but it is in a bright green bottle. Spray on, leave for 5-10 mins, rinse off, black mound completely gone!

RockyBird Tue 17-Jan-17 12:25:11

I bought spray from Staples in a green bottle. 50p and worked straight away

RebeccaCloud9 Tue 17-Jan-17 12:25:41

HG spray for mould will get it off.

Piffpaffpoff Tue 17-Jan-17 12:30:19

Dettol mould and mildew spray!

Boofeckinghoo Tue 17-Jan-17 12:31:24

Yep, I second the HG mould stuff. It's sorts it out in 30mins. If you can't get that try 1 part neat bleach to 2 parts bicarb. It forms a paste which you need to leave on the mould for at least half an hour to an hour and then rinse.

Mould drives me nuts.

MrsJayy Tue 17-Jan-17 12:32:29

Cotton bud bit of neat bleach should sort it .you don't need to be ripping silicone off

MackerelOfFact Tue 17-Jan-17 12:32:54

I've always ripped out and resealed whenever I've left a rental property. You can pick up sealant for a couple of quid and it takes minutes to do - the only problem is you can't use the bath/shower for about 12 hours afterwards. YouTube will give tutorials if you're not sure.

MackerelOfFact Tue 17-Jan-17 12:33:51

Or if you want to totally bodge it, just smear toothpaste over it before a viewing. grin

Bobochic Tue 17-Jan-17 12:34:25

Replace it.

Cakescakescakes Tue 17-Jan-17 12:34:54

If the mould is in around and under the sealant then bleach won't get that off and it'll look grimy. I've done ours a few times. It's really easy. Cut the old sealant out with a sharp knife, squeeze new seal at in and smooth out with a wet finger. Easy peasy and will look much better.

ChorusLine69 Tue 17-Jan-17 14:08:42

Butteries - I've just put a load of bleach with cotton wool so fingers crossed! Failing that I will try and get some mould spray.
Mackerel - funnily enough I was wondering about a tippex pen!

Thanks all, help much appreciated (as always)

IToldYouIWasFreaky Tue 17-Jan-17 14:26:08

Mound and mildew spray will clear it in a few mins. Can't remember what brand we have but it is in a bright green bottle. Spray on, leave for 5-10 mins, rinse off, black mound completely gone

The brand is Astonish and this stuff is the bollocks. 99p from B&M or Savers and it works better on mould than anything else. Like the PP said, you can just spray it on, leave it for a bit and it will remove the mould like magic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now