Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Washing machines with WiFi connection - why?

(9 Posts)
SW1A1AA Sun 15-Jan-17 15:12:46

Another washing machine question from me today because I'm that exciting.

Why would a washing machine have WiFi connection so you can use it remotely via your phone. Does anyone have this and how do you use it? Surely you have to be physically there to put the load on and most machines have an option to delay the cycle anyway?

BigcatLittlecat Sun 15-Jan-17 15:13:53

It's to help them in their quest for world domination! smile
Seriously I have no idea!

Floggingmolly Sun 15-Jan-17 15:15:16

Really?? Sounds like a fairly useless gimmick, tbh confused
A bit like being able to control your central heating system remotely. Why would you want to?

pinkpantsrock Sun 15-Jan-17 15:19:14

both my washer and dyer have wifi, never used it on the washing machine but have used on dyer, can put on whilst i'm out and during times when electric cheaper

OurBlanche Sun 15-Jan-17 15:25:44

Mine has it. I have no use for it.

I suppose it is for the SMART house we keep seeing adverts for.

But until it can walk upstairs, sort through the laundry bags, fill itself up, choose the right programme and then pop the clean wet items in/on the right dryer, I am not sure it will ever be of any use, no matter how SMART the house gets smile

Like FloggingMolly says, why would you? That thermostat one really annoys me... I have a secret thing. It is called a timer on a thermostat. Minimum temperature and conveniently warmer for when I get back from work. Who needs an App?

TheTantrumCometh Sun 15-Jan-17 15:39:47

Not it's designed use I'm sure, but my blind DB would find it immensely useful to be able to set a washing machine cycle and switch it on using his phone-providing the app or whatever worked with the voice over on his phone.

BertieBotts Sun 15-Jan-17 15:53:52

I suppose it works so that you can fill it up and then when you're an hour away from home you switch it on so that it's finished when you get in, not sitting around for hours.

I'm not convinced this is better than the timer my one already has, though.

The accessibility point is good however.

BertieBotts Sun 15-Jan-17 15:56:54

The central heating one makes sense because it means you can centralise it, control it through third party elements like Amazon Echo for example.

A washing machine it less useful because you have to be near it to put the clothes in and usually detergent too. I could imagine that it might have the capability to fill up a tank with detergent and it releases the right amount at the right time. One like that for the dishwasher would be good actually, with a sensor so it can tell when it's full/empty.

Sleeperandthespindle Sun 15-Jan-17 16:00:06

I love our new smart kettle, with perfect temperature water for tea when I want it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now