Talk

Advanced search

Fascinating washing machine (Bosch) query

(18 Posts)
SW1A1AA Sun 15-Jan-17 14:38:14

I'm thinking of getting a 9kg load Bosch washing machine and went into John Lewis to have a play with one yesterday. I noticed that when I put it onto Cottons the washing time changed briefly to say 9kg which I assumed was the max load weight for that setting. All the other cycles (i.e. Eco cottons, mixed load, sportswear etc) changed to differed and lower weights. Does this mean that only one setting, the cottons one, will wash 9kg of washing? I asked the sales assistant but she didn't have a clue, not did her colleague.

queencrunch Sun 15-Jan-17 14:40:42

if it's the same as my Samsung then yes only one programme. Check in the manual x

SW1A1AA Sun 15-Jan-17 14:44:19

They didn't have a manual annoyingly. It seems a bit of a swizz then.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 15-Jan-17 14:47:31

I think this is fairly normal. The full cotton programmes allow a full machine but the synthetic, delicate or quick wash programmes are for smaller amounts. This is the case for our current Zanussi and our previous one, which I can't remember the brand but was another similar mid range, not Miele or Bosch.

ChippyMinton Sun 15-Jan-17 14:50:17

Find the manual online?

Cotton is heavier than synthetics, so I guess the volume of synthetics would be too bulky for the drum?

queencrunch Sun 15-Jan-17 14:50:36

I must admit I was shocked too. But I do most of the washing on a cotton 40 wash so I've got used to it

rabbit123 Sun 15-Jan-17 18:43:26

That's the same on our Miele. Cottons takes a full load but minimum iron, delicates and quick wash all take a half load

e1y1 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:32:00

Yes, this is right, I think all washing machines operate this way.

The standard cottons cycle is for the full weight of the machine, whereas the other cycles are for lower weights. Reason being, different fabric types, water levels and agitation profiles of the different cycles.

The weight capacity rating of a washing machine is a swizz anyway, as drum volume comes into play as well.

For example, everyone will agree that a double duvet (not duvet cover) will not weigh anywhere near 9kg or so in weight, but it will fill your entire washing machine drum, not allowing anything else alongside it.

Also, I have had a couple of 9kg washing machines, but the drums have been completely different volumes (eg a Bosch was stubby and deep, a Hoover washer drum was tall and shallow) so even though they are advertised as taking the same weight, I could fit more in the Bosch.

So my advice would be, don't just look at the weight rating, look in the drum to see how big/deep it looks.

e1y1 Sun 15-Jan-17 21:36:49

Oh also forgot, heard this from someone who apparently was told this from Which -

When washing machines go through weight grading for that model of machine, manufacturers are allowed to load clothes being professionally folded, stacked top to bottom and front to back.

And the absolute kicker - they are allowed the door OPEN and using the rubber boot bit of the machine????

So if you wash your clothes whilst profesionally folded, stacked, with the machine door open, you'll be fine grin.

Can you tell I have researched this aspect a bit smile

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 15-Jan-17 21:37:49

I would buy the simplest non-smart washing machine I could find.

It is the "intelligence" bit that breaks down and goes wrong on washing machines.

It is not for your Bosch to decide for you how long a cycle your washing needs. I wash my dc white school shirts on the cottons cycle on 40 degrees but my stupid fucking Bosch always automatically reduces the cycle time because it is light and white and assumes it isn't that dirty. But, actually, with collars, cuffs and armpits, those white shirts are the load that I want to have a really good long wash.

I loathe my Bosch machine with a vengeance and have posted many times about it before. Honestly, go for anything else!

BarbaraofSeville Sun 15-Jan-17 22:11:39

I once weighed the amount of normal clothes (jeans, t shirts underwear) that the washer was supposed to take and found it was loads more than I would put in.

If I had put it all in, it would have all been jammed in and the bit in the middle wouldn't have got wet so I put less in so it can move around and actually get washed.

SortAllTheThings Sun 15-Jan-17 22:26:43

Any help? This was with my recently bought Bosch WM. There's a 'speed perfect' option that significantly reduces the programme duration

PickAChew Sun 15-Jan-17 22:34:18

I have a Siemens, so same thing, different packaging - "speed perfect" also reduces the load capacity. In the case of mine, from 7kg to 4kg.

My rule, is, if it's tough, if goes in on "cottons" (this includes things like synthetic school trousers, if it' a little more fragile, it goes in on a relevant smaller load, often "mixed fabrics" rather than easy care.

MargotsDevil Mon 16-Jan-17 16:13:06

Beware the Speed Perfect option - it has a much lower max weight than the standard wash...

SortAllTheThings Mon 16-Jan-17 17:02:54

Oh really? Good to know, thanks.

MargotsDevil Tue 17-Jan-17 07:19:08

Yep, if you press the speed perfect button the weight flashes - it's basically half the weight of the standard wash on whichever setting hmm

SortAllTheThings Tue 17-Jan-17 07:43:39

Ah, I don't have a weight thing on the screen of my one.

Makes sense though I suppose.

shovetheholly Tue 17-Jan-17 08:31:16

I have a Bosch machine, and it's never rejected a load on any setting on weight grounds??

Be careful with them, though - their customer service is shocking. Even John Lewis said to me "Bosch don't do good will gestures, they don't know the meaning of the words good will". I had a Bosch dishwasher that was giving me electric shocks and they didn't give a damn. Miele all the way for me from now on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now