Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a Miele cat &dog or will any Miele do?

(19 Posts)
peekaboo1 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:56:07

We are going to be laying carpet in the main living area so I am going to replace our ancient enormous Dyson with a cylinder vacuum.

I have very thick shoulder length hair and shed lots all the time, as well as having what seems like a twice yearly moulting, so. I need a vacuum that can cope with hair and lots of it.

Do I need a cat and dog? I don't need the air purification aspect as there's no odour issue. Would other Mieles cope or is the cat&dog especially capable of dealing with hair?

Also do I need to pay up for C3 or will C2 do the trick? Is the compact any different (apart from size?)

Sorry, too many questions but having lived with 3 hellish Dysons in the house all chosen by DH I am now going to buy my dream vacuum and I want to get it right!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 13-Jan-17 17:06:33

I think the cat and dog ones come with a rotating brush head, it's very good but ideally for carpet you need an upright to beat the carpet as it sucks.

The heads about £50 so it might be cheaper to buy a cheap Miele off marks electrical & order a head off Miele.co.uk.

ChicRock Fri 13-Jan-17 18:30:03

I went from a Dyson to a Miele and I have to say I really wish I'd stuck with Dyson tbh. I have the rotating brush Miele but I'm not that impressed.

rabbit123 Fri 13-Jan-17 20:14:13

If you have carpets, the Cat & Dog with the turbo brush is essential.

PencilsInSpace Fri 13-Jan-17 20:23:31

I've got 2 cats (one of which sheds a lot of hair) and a standard Miele that still does an excellent job of getting the hair up after 12 years. It's lasted longer than my last 3 vacuums put together (a Hoover and 2 Dysons). I think the cat and dog version is probably a good idea if anybody has allergies.

If it's your 'dream vacuum' though, get the poshest you can afford grin

peekaboo1 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:06:37

Thank you all. Sometimes I do wonder who I've become, talking about dream vacuums. My 21-year-old self would be horrified!

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 14-Jan-17 16:11:13

Was the 21yo version of you house proud though?

I wasn't blush

fivepies Sat 14-Jan-17 16:19:50

My advice would be to not get the cat and dog Miele over other models. I've got a different model and much prefer it to the cat and dog (I've used two different cat and dog Mieles, it's too boring a story to explain how and why!).
I love my Miele, it's lasted years. Definitely get a turbo brush. Your hair sounds like mine. It'll get wrapped around the brush but it's easy to remove occasionally.
If you have tiles or wooden floors you'll need the parquet twister head.
If you can afford it I'd go for the C3.
Have you see the bagless Blizzard range? Just launched. I want one!

peekaboo1 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:17:05

Thank you! I was looking at prices and considering another model c3 plus a turbo brush as it comes out cheaper. We are only going to be using the vacuum for carpet (most of the house).

The next decision is compact vs complete. Never used one with bag so don't know how long they last.

Saw the bag less ones. A bit pricey and my only bagless experience is with the rotten Dysons we have had, so a bit suspicious of them.

My 21 year old self couldn't have cared less about the state of the house. How things change.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 15-Jan-17 10:55:06

I quite like the bags, it's all the bag so you don't have to clean the filter/dust compartment.

e1y1 Sun 15-Jan-17 19:10:06

My advice is don't get any Miele - they're shit, shit, shit.

I am coveting a Sebo and will most likely buy one this month.

BrassicaBabe Sun 15-Jan-17 20:56:50

I had 2 Miele cat and dog hoovers die (motor) over about 3 years. So went for a cheap and cheerful Henry

counterpoint Sun 15-Jan-17 21:18:30

I have had a Miele for longer than I can remember (maybe, 12 years as that's how long we've had dogs). I bought the rotating head thing but you seriously don't need it. The normal flat thing that can be raised or lowered for pile length works great because suction is so powerful (is that still true since power had to be reduced for green issues?).

Anyway, the only drawback is that the bag needs emptying every few weeks - it fills up so rapidly with hair from dog and cat plus us and they are expensive bags! Cheaper fakes from Amazon ( ~ £1 a bag) work well but even then, I prefer to pull out the gunk over the bin and reuse the same bag rather than part with a pound! blush

counterpoint Sun 15-Jan-17 21:19:13

P.S. a Miele Cat & Dog one.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Jan-17 13:53:03

ao.com/product/c2cd-miele-complete-c2-cat-and-dog-powerline-cylinder-vacuum-cleaner-red-41561-59.aspx?WT.srch=1&WT.z_MT=drytinder&WT.z_RTM=PHG&WT.z_CN=304092&WT.z_AG=Forum&WT.z_AT=&WT.z_KW=drytinder

£139 delivered. Probably cashback on topcashback or quidco.

ZooLanePetCorner Wed 09-Aug-17 09:51:55

i'm wondering about buying a miele cat & dog blizzard with turbo brush - I've got a lot of thick carpets that attract dust and fur.

Are they better than the C3 cat & dog with bags? Allergies definitely an issue here.

Any body else have experience? I've had a Dyson Animal that's lasted 7 years (better than the hoover windtunnel I had).

I'm not mad on washing filters.

rabbit123 Wed 09-Aug-17 19:14:17

If you've got allergies & don't like washing filters, don't get a bagless vacuum. Bags keep the dirt in.

ZooLanePetCorner Wed 09-Aug-17 20:14:49

In theory the heap washable filters are better but I've had a bagless dyson and it doesn't seem to do much for allergies and dh can't empty it as the dust/fur sets him off

Pancakeflipper Wed 09-Aug-17 20:20:43

Get a Sebo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now