Talk

Advanced search

Scorch marks on fancy bedding. Help!!

(12 Posts)
Fairylightsandwine Fri 13-Jan-17 16:49:27

Yesterday I was on a major washing/drying/ironing spree. Had a whole day free and DS at nursery so I just cracked on. The tumble dryer (fairly old but seemingly working fine) was on pretty much non stop allllll day long. I did towels, bedding, curtains etc. Anyway my last load was my favourite bed linen set, plus 3 Xl pillow case things from White Company that cost me a bloody fortune. Washed as normal, put them in dryer (as I normally do) got them out and there's these light brown marks all over them. They were fine from the washing machine so it can have only come from tumble dryer? So the only thing I can think is the dryer got so hot they are scorch marks? They are not rough to touch or anything. So what is best move now? I have vanish oxo crystals thingy? Or bleach? Please help!

RozzlePops Fri 13-Jan-17 16:53:19

Do you have any photos ? smile

tp78202 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:54:00

Pic please

Fairylightsandwine Fri 13-Jan-17 17:01:03

Hope you can see. These are 2 of the larger pillows. They were completely clean when I got them from the washing machine so must have come from tumble dryer. The bedding is white and also has these little brown marks all over.

RozzlePops Fri 13-Jan-17 17:03:56

Was anything stuck in the machine ? Coin, sweet etc? Have you checked the filter?

Fairylightsandwine Fri 13-Jan-17 17:08:01

I checked in the drum and nothing. Washed the pillow cases from the set on a quick wash today, still not come out which is why I though maybe burn marks but I've never know that happen before! Just not sure what else to think?

tp78202 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:59:46

I had very similar to this once. You said this was the last wash, I wonder if you wash often with powder or at low temperatures? I had this when somehow some shitty residue from I-don't-know-where came out of the washing machine and left black marks on my sheets. You need to do a regular 'maintenance wash' to keep the innards of your washing machine nice, otherwise gunk builds up & it can mark clean sheets. Stuff some old towels in the machine on a 90'C full cycle wash to clean out the innards and then re-do your sheets as normal.

previously1474907171 Sat 14-Jan-17 00:33:20

It might come off/out with a soak in Oxy and a bio wash, air dry outside, even if it is raining or snowing, daylight lifts stains. I have been known to leave whites out for a week or so in the rain. You may need to rinse them again afterwards though.

Could it be rust?

previously1474907171 Sat 14-Jan-17 00:33:54

Or lemon juice, leave it on and hang outside.

Rascallsall Sat 14-Jan-17 12:52:55

I would try a long 60 degree wash with Vanish Gold oxi and see if that does the trick. Good luck!

wowfudge Sat 14-Jan-17 14:02:21

Have you used anything like new moisturiser or something in your hair which could be on the pillow and has reacted with the dye?

Don't put them in a hot wash - hot water fixes stains so I would try cold or warm soaking with something like Vanish or Biotex (if you can still get that).

Fairylightsandwine Sat 14-Jan-17 15:11:08

Thanks for all the suggestions. Have got some vanish oxi stuff so will give it a soak and see if that works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now