Talk

Advanced search

do I need a mattress protector?

(7 Posts)
CrotchetQuaverMinim Fri 13-Jan-17 16:43:50

I'm soon to buy a new mattress for a new flat. Now, while the sales are one, I figure that I should also get other things like a mattress protector etc if I need one.

I already have a sort of cover for mattress and pillows that is supposed to protect from bed bugs and be allergy proof (which I bought for my rented house after suspicions of bed bugs). It's just a thin sort of mesh layer, though, not anything padded. But it's one more layer of protection against sweat and stuff, which I guess is the main reason (beyond comfort) of an actual protector, right?

Or do they do something else that I'm not aware of? If I buy a comfortable enough mattress, will a protector actually make it last any longer?

(I don't want a memory foam one or anything anyway, so was just looking at the padded ones that say they 'prolong the life of your mattress', like in the JL sale).

JustinHasMovedOut Sat 14-Jan-17 21:53:17

I don't know if we need one, but we have one. I'm not sure why I got it, just convention I think.

torthecatlady Sat 14-Jan-17 23:00:40

I bought a padded mattress protector for my old lumpy mattress. It made a bad situation slightly more bearable.
However, on my new mattress I have an old flat sheet directly on top of the mattress, then the padded mattress protector, then my normal deep fitted bottom sheet. I'm hoping to keep this mattress looking nice for as long as possible! grin

Topnotes Sun 15-Jan-17 06:28:19

Yes to help keep sweat etc off mattress. I have them on all beds and wash them every couple of months (sheets washed every fortnight) when they start looking a bit manly

Fairhair Sun 15-Jan-17 06:35:07

Well they certainly keep stains off the mattress.

llangennith Sun 15-Jan-17 06:42:33

Waterproof mattress protectors from M&S on all our beds.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Sun 15-Jan-17 11:13:38

ok, sounds like it might be worth it then!

I'm not sure whether it would go over or under the zipped anti bed bug cover though (or whether to get rid of that as hopefully a new mattress in a new place won't have them - but I think it also protects somewhat against dust mites etc too, so I will probably keep it). The zipped thing fits quite well but not really tight, so at the moment, I have it underneath the mattress protector. That assumes the protector won't get too many bugs/mites, but I guess as it's washable, that should be a problem.

I was even considering some of those electric mattress protectors that are an electric blanket and protector in one, but I'm not sure what the temperature will be like in this place. I suspect it might be generally too hot, in which case I might not even want any extra padding, let alone need an electric blanket, but who knows. At the moment I cuddle a hot water bottle and bemoan my cold feet, and love the idea of an electric warmer, but that will probably all change in a modern, small, double glazed little box.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now