Talk

Advanced search

Do you clean before your cleaner comes??

(22 Posts)
MrsMessyBottom Fri 13-Jan-17 15:56:48

I have just hired a cleaner, and she will be popping round for a preliminary visit and 'getting to know you' session. I am very house proud and have been finding it hard to stay on top of everything. The problem is, I've been busy all week and out for most of today, so I have done very little.

Tell me I am being ridiculous wanting to clean before the cleaner gets here.

Also tell me that she's seen it all and won't be phased.

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 13-Jan-17 15:57:43

No, I leave things clear though.

MoreThanUs Fri 13-Jan-17 15:58:43

I'm a lot like you and got a cleaner a few months ago. It has taken a while, but I'm slowly doing less before the cleaner comes. I do, however, make sure the house is immaculately tidy, and that nothing is dirtier than a week of general use.

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 13-Jan-17 15:59:28

Oh and she will have seen it all before wink

Leta86 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:00:15

I might be a bit crass here, but what is the point of the cleaner then?

BobbieDog Fri 13-Jan-17 16:00:30

I have a cleaner she tells me most people do nothing. They dont make their beds, open curtains etc.

I always make the beds and open curtains, sort dishwasher out.

I make sure everything is in its place with no mess or clutter about.

But i will obviously not clean as thats what im paying her to do

thisagain Fri 13-Jan-17 16:01:35

Same as above. Don't clean a thing but immaculately tidy. I wouldn't worry for a visit though. I tidy partly to make it easy for her but also so it looks nice when I come back from work. Also it stops a build up or things on work tops etc.

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 13-Jan-17 16:01:40

Ha ! Yes ! Always have a quick whizz around before she gets here ! Just to tidy more than clean !

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Fri 13-Jan-17 16:03:13

My cleaner is amazing! I don't even have to do the dishes from the night before! She literally does everything, including putting clothes in the washer and putting things away if I leave her a pile of clean stuff.
Feel a bit self conscious now... do most cleaners not do this? confused

Bluntness100 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:03:56

No, I don't clean before the cleaner comes, but I always make the bed in the morning anyway and am not messy.

How bad is it? You may as well let her see what she needs to deal with.

Bluntness100 Fri 13-Jan-17 16:05:19

Mummypig, no my cleaner doesn't do our clothes and I wouldn't want her to.

MrsMessyBottom Fri 13-Jan-17 16:07:41

Things are mostly tidy and surfaces clear. There are however, some small dust bunnies appearing in my hall confused.

Leta that is why I feel so stupid just now! Why would you clean before the cleaner arrives??

This is my treat to myself. I want to enjoy my weekends doing what I want and not cleaning.

MrsMessyBottom Fri 13-Jan-17 16:10:09

My cleaner will only be doing cleaning. I am going to ask her to strip the beds when she comes, but don't expect her to make them all up again. This visit is for us to talk about what she's going to do for 2 hours a week. Haven't got a clue, but I've made a list and I will see what she thinks.

twilightcafe Fri 13-Jan-17 16:12:41

I make sure everything has been tidied away; dishwasher filled and running so she can put the clean stuff away; and toilets free of skid marks (sorry!). That's about it.

Bohemond Fri 13-Jan-17 16:13:22

I wipe the rims of the toilets, empty the bathroom bins and make sure everything is tidy (and that includes doing the washing up). I strip the beds and our cleaner makes them up.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Fri 13-Jan-17 16:15:05

No I don't clean. I go make sure all surfaces are clear, clothes put away, toys away etc. She can't clean if she can't get to the surfaces, Hoover the floor etc.

InfinityPlusOne Fri 13-Jan-17 16:15:32

Same as twilightcafe - house is tidy so things aren't in her way and she can clean without having to move things or put them away. I do clean the toilet myself, as I normally would and I empty the little bathroom bin, but again I'd do that anyway a few times a week.

DanglyEarOrnaments Sat 14-Jan-17 15:32:34

As long as it's tidy and the floor and surfaces are clear any decent cleaner should be able to do a good job.

That's the main thing.

Also if you have weekly cleaning (and live normally in there) she should be able to keep on top of all the general maintenance cleaning for you. If you have fortnightly some top up cleaning will be required by the home owner in between visits but she can do a deeper clean as a professional cleaner when it's her week to clean.

I think fortnightly frequency is not meant to be the only cleaning solution in a home but a weekly cleaner, given enough time, can usually take care of most of it for you if it's kept reasonably tidy.

G1raffePicnic Sat 14-Jan-17 15:37:28

Hmmm. We don't clean (at all pretty much) but I make sure there's no skid marks and empty bathroom bins.

It does however take us at least 2 hours to put away all the stuff that just accumulates in teahouse, washing away etc. We must be really messy.

I need to work on things having "homes". Tiny house and too much stuff in it and too many piles of unsorted things

user1483387154 Sat 14-Jan-17 15:45:14

I dont clean before a cleaner arrives but I do tidy around so that she can actually clean the place properly. Make sure nothing is on the floors or surfaces etc

HelenaJustina Sat 14-Jan-17 16:10:03

I tidy but don't cleN

HelenaJustina Sat 14-Jan-17 16:10:14

Clean!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now