Talk

Advanced search

Just moved and house is a tip

(5 Posts)
FlowerFairiee Mon 09-Jan-17 22:41:10

Hi, three weeks ago I moved from a decent sized 3 bed house with excellent storage to a tiny 2 bed house with hardly any storage. I'm a single mum to an 18 month old, very energetic toddler, who won't leave me alone for a second, and I am struggling. The house is a total mess, I'm knackered, and I need to sort the house out ASAP. Can anyone offer me some advice? Thank you.

Ilovecaindingle Mon 09-Jan-17 22:42:51

Prob not the best to advise as we have been here 20 months and it's still a tip!
blush

AddictedtoLovely Mon 09-Jan-17 22:44:06

Do it little by little. Set a timer for 15 mins break 15 mins. Get some storage.

FlowerFairiee Mon 09-Jan-17 23:30:58

Thank you for your advice. I like the idea of a timer. I'm thinking that I need to do one room at a time. I'm really struggling with how small the house is. There is just nowhere to put anything. I love the house, it's beautifully refurbished, new carpets, a lovely new kitchen and bathroom, but it needs to be stretched so it's at least double in size! It's just so hard with a toddler who just only wants to be involved in whatever I'm doing and is not remotely interested in any of her toys! The house is that tiny that it isn't worth vacuuming - there is that little carpet! I also have to constantly watch where I walk for fear of tripping up over a) a toy, b) a child c) a small dog or d) my own feet!.

WingsClipped Tue 10-Jan-17 12:52:36

I hear you. We moved areas and went from a large detached 3 bed with massive attic space and garage to a 2 bed tiny cottage. Pinterest has lots of good ideas for storage and small space living. Open shelving in the kitchen can help dramatically. Add shelves everywhere you can, I've seen bookshelves above and around door frames etc. I put nuts, grains etc. in pretty jars on the shelves so they aren't taking up precious cupboard space. The best thing to do when living in a small space is decluttering regularly. It's amazing how much 'stuff' we accumulate and it really shows when I've done a few bags to bin/charity shop. You become quite ruthless about it after a few times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now