Talk

Advanced search

Konmari kids stuff- how do you do it with younger children in mind?

(5 Posts)
Willow33 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:39:48

I have to do something about the takeover of children's toys/ books etc.
I have two dd ( 4 and 1). How can I get rid of toys/ books that dd1 doesn't want or need but I think dd2 may one day be into herself?
If I do this, then I have no chance of getting rid of anything except the toys that dd2 no longer plays with (of which there is not much).

Please help, the clutter is driving me loopy.

Patriciathestripper1 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:41:55

Attic? Garage?

eatsleepfeedrepeat Mon 09-Jan-17 18:46:00

I have the same problem! I think I'll follow the konmari approach and only keep the things that I really love, the more general tat can go (as judging by the last year I'll still buy dc2 plenty of tat of their own!)

Willow33 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:48:59

We don't have attic space or a garage!
I thought the Konmari approach was that you don't chuck things that spark joy in others. My dd1 was very upset when I discussed giving away some of her toys. Even some of her soft toys of which there are box loads.

daisydalrymple Tue 10-Jan-17 20:34:07

I think she suggests 3 being a good age to gently include children in decluttering (I have a 9,7 and 2yr old so have googled extensively how to declutter children's stuff hmm there's not loads on it from her). But you would do it in the same order, so if clothes need doing, start with them, especially if you know there's a few things she's out grown that could go. Then get eg all of the soft toys out in one go and ask which ones she loves and wants to keep, get her to hold each one- but perhaps make sure you hand her absolute favourites to her first and keep the ones you think should go till last, by which time she may see she feels differently about some of them.

I feel your pain, I'd hardly got rid of any of ds1 and dd's stuff by the time ds2 came along. I've been chipping away at it for the last 12 months and am slowly getting somewhere! The older two are starting to see we can't keep everything. I actually went through the kondo stages in ds1's room with him from clothes down. He was over the moon with his tidy clear room, and although he apologises for when it gets messy I tell him not to worry as like is stored with like now, sonits so much easier to quickly tidy up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now