Talk

Advanced search

Ridding smoke smell from furniture

(9 Posts)
Sunnysidegold Mon 09-Jan-17 16:54:25

Hi all, needing your expertise.have been given lots of furniture by mil as she downsized and we bought a bigger place.fil was a heavy smoker and some of the wood still stinks of smoke.only when you get up close, but the art deco dressing table is beautiful but stinky.so far I have scrubbed all drawers with soapy water and used a special furniture cleaner on the outside to take off the stickiness of nicotine.i had put cotton pads in the drawers with some essential oils and put in drawer liners but these are only masking it slightly.is this a job for zoflora??

Downthepubofcourse Mon 09-Jan-17 17:02:32

i think it is a job for air! Have you got somewhere under cover but outside where you can get a good breeze on it for a few hours?

Give it another clean inside and out then stand it in your designated draughty spot for a while then see.

Fresh air solves most things imho.

wowfudge Mon 09-Jan-17 18:36:41

Have you tried cleaning the stuff with sugar soap? It's brilliant on nicotine. Use it inside and out and let it all air dry. Try bowls of bicarb inside the furniture if it's still smelly - it absorbs odours.

Sunnysidegold Mon 09-Jan-17 19:35:02

Thanks for the replies, I haven't tried sugar soap,I'll get some tomorrow and hopefully that with it being outdoors it'll shift it.

Aquamarine1029 Tue 10-Jan-17 18:48:11

What is sugar soap?

Reality16 Tue 10-Jan-17 18:49:53

It doesn't go away.

wowfudge Tue 10-Jan-17 19:18:39

Sugar soap is a bright yellow cleaner which degreases surfaces. It's used to prep before decorating, but is brilliant for cleaning kitchens and other mucky stuff - especially nicotine stains. Doesn't have any discernible smell. Very drying on hands though so wear rubber gloves.

Aquamarine1029 Wed 11-Jan-17 03:40:37

Is there a brand name for sugar soap?

wowfudge Wed 11-Jan-17 07:07:28

No. You can buy it in DIY places and pound shops in a trigger spray or as powder you mix with water.

There's a cleaning product called Elbow Grease which looks like it, but I thought it was crap when I tried it for cleaning the kitchen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now