Talk

Advanced search

Keeping carpets clean - am I missing a trick?

(11 Posts)
Penguin13 Sun 08-Jan-17 20:58:32

I have never been the best at cleaning regularly but am determined to stick to more of a schedule and to be better at cleaning as I go as I hate having to do a panic clean before visitors and feeling too embarrassed to invite people over for play dates with DD because of the state of our home. One of the parts of this new regime has been to actually use the cordless Dyson for a quick whip round most days although I have used the 'proper' Dyson several times in a week as well. I just can't seem to keep our carpets looking remotely presentable though. I am doing all the sensible things like shoes off at the door, we have turtle mats to trap dirt at doorways, I make sure I only bring the pushchair through the side door into the kitchen which is not carpeted, no eating without a plate or for DD at the table with her splash mat under her chair....it is driving me nuts that I can literally just have finished a good hoover and blink and suddenly the carpet is covered in dirt again.

Our carpet is very light beige and has no pile so I think that does show up the dirt particularly badly but we don't have the funds to change it unfortunately. There are multiple small stains/general grime from a time I wasn't so diligent (Dd's first year being a particular low point as she was an appalling sleeper so it was hard to risk getting the hoover out and waking her) but even so I feel like I am fighting a losing battle/turning into my mother who whisks dirt away practically before it's had time to settle.

Do I just have unrealistic expectations about how often I need to hoover? (apparently 5 times a day) Could it be that I need to go through this period of removing more ground in dirt before I can settle on a more moderate maintenance programme? (What we could probably really do with is a professional steam clean but sadly that isn't really in the budget.)

I have tried a few different home carpet cleaning remedies to no avail but going to go over the whole carpet again with my mini bissell to see if that at least helps the carpet look a bit less grimy overall. What is your preferred home carpet cleaner? Tried vanish Gold foam and barely noticed a difference.

Sorry this is so long so well done if you made it to the end! I know it's not the biggest problem but my carpets looking dirty is making my whole house look dirty and really bringing me down. Thank you in advance for any tips.

mybrainhurtsalot Mon 09-Jan-17 01:27:14

Probably not that helpful if you're on a tight budget, but I love my vax dual v carpet cleaner. It gets out a truly astonishing amount of grime. The downside is that it is very big and a bit heavy. Mine lives downstairs so it's a bit of a chore getting it upstairs then set up etc but I used it today after spilling coffee all over bedroom & landing carpets - amazing results. This is the one I have: Dual V

SoleBizzz Mon 09-Jan-17 01:36:57

I have a vax dual carpet cleaner. It's amazing. Better than a Rug Dr I used to hire. I also use it for my mattresses. About £179. Has a hose sucky attachment for stairs and mattress.

Jaynecleannotsomean Mon 09-Jan-17 10:32:02

I never got on with my vax upright cleaner, impressive amount of dirty water but nothing ever seemed any cleaner. I can tell you what I use now, but I have to put my hand up and say I do sell their products now too.

Bought on my sister's recommendation as it copes with her elderly leaky dog , ENJO living range. Best carpet and upholstery cleaner I've ever had.

sycamore54321 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:37:38

I had great results with renting a Rug doctor machine from the big DIY stores.

Toohardtofindaproperusername Mon 09-Jan-17 15:48:29

Using the cordless Dyson for a quick whip round most days and the 'proper' Dyson several times in a week
Do I just have unrealistic expectations about how often I need to hoover? (apparently 5 times a day)

This sounds excessive to me- and yes, as if you have unrealistic expectations. What is happening that you vacuum five times aday? It sounds like you might have got anxiously very focused on cleaning... Unless you want to live in a show home, a bit of mess is ok!

MewlingQuim Mon 09-Jan-17 16:01:38

Not sure what you're doing to need hoovering that often confused

I have beige flat pile carpets, a long haired dog, a small child and a husband* and hoover only every other day maximum.

I do have a vacuum with a powered brush head which does help a lot. I got rid of my Dyson as it's head wasn't powered (or no longer worked, but it was never great even when new) my current vacuum is a Bosch cordless and it's fab because it sweeps not just sucks. We use rug doctor about once a year.

Either you are making an awful lot of mess or your vacuum is crap.

*husband makes more muddy footprints than dog and child put together hmm

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 09-Jan-17 16:02:57

Carpets are minging. Get some laminate instead grin

Penguin13 Mon 09-Jan-17 21:28:28

Whoops posted this thread then promptly abandoned it. Thank you for all the helpful responses.

Ha Its we live in a Victorian house so had high hopes of uncovering original floorboards so was a bit gutted to pull up the corner of the carpet underneath the built in window seat to discover... drumroll please.... Concrete hmm

Toohard i think you may have hit the nail on the head. I think looking back that I had undiagnosed PND with DD1 and am currently 28 weeks with DC2. I feel very anxious about coping with two and maybe all this cleaning is a way of trying to grip onto control and overcome this anxiety. Don't think my upbringing helped - I have the kind of parents who, whilst very lovely and loving, have pretty much a show home and I have always felt very inadequate in comparison as I am naturally quite messy.

Toohardtofindaproperusername Mon 09-Jan-17 22:53:22

Embrace your natural style. A bit of mess doesn't hurt anyone and a show home is the opposite of warm and inviting. Maybe your parents were /are also a bit anxious. Better to try and work on that (anxiety) than research carpet cleaning/vacuums etc
I guess you might be nervous about repeat pnd- might be good to get things in place beforehand so u have support around you and can relax and embrace your home and your style, mess and all. Kids don't need obsessive cleanliness - they do, howver, probably benefit from you being more relaxed than anxious. Hope you can nip in bud and enjoy the remainder of pregnancy and (messy) time with your dd1.

I just moved too, was hoping to find original tiles under my beige carpet but alas also concrete;)

misscarlar Tue 10-Jan-17 12:42:27

We have exactly the same sort of carpet it's filthy
I am working my way through with my vax - but I use it in a different way that takes longer but is more effective. I mix washing powder with warm water and actually give the carpet a scrub with a flannel cloth then use the vax to suck up the water.
I also have a robotic hoover to try to stop it getting any worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now