Talk

Advanced search

why are my clothes coming out smelling musty?

(26 Posts)
littleblackdress26 Sun 08-Jan-17 12:18:49

they smell as if they've been sat in the washing machine for a couple of days when I actually take them out straight away.
does my machine need a deep cleaning?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 08-Jan-17 12:20:04

I expect so.

How do you dry them?

weasle Sun 08-Jan-17 12:20:18

Have you taken out and cleaned the filter?

wobblywonderwoman Sun 08-Jan-17 12:21:24

Maybe run an empty cycle. I use vinegar in each wash but maybe google maintenance wash.

Agree about drying, don't let them hang about too long.

Twolittlejobbys Sun 08-Jan-17 12:22:51

Stick a pint of white vinegar in the drum and put it on the longest hottest wash! You should deep clean it about twice a year according to Kim and Aggie. Also give the rubber seal around the door a gentle scrub to remove any mildew that might be there. You should leave it ajar alter every use to prevent mould as the machine is damp 😊

Jellyshoeshurtmyfeet Sun 08-Jan-17 12:24:23

Do you use those tablets that go straight in the drum? I read recently that using powder in the draw means it keeps all the workings fresh and that doesn't happen if the detergent goes straight in the drum. I don't know if this is true but might be worth a try.

littleblackdress26 Sun 08-Jan-17 12:34:43

I dry them on an airer it was all fine until recently.
ooh I haven't looked at the filter maybe that's why ?

littleblackdress26 Sun 08-Jan-17 12:38:11

yeah I wipe the seal down, keep it ajar after ive used it and I use powder confused hmm.
ok so check filter / deep clean with vinegar?

RubyWinterstorm Sun 08-Jan-17 12:39:06

What temps do you wash at? Only 60 degree wash or over kill bacteria.

Lots of people never wash at 60 or 90 anymore, so you get a build up of bacteria and smells.

Using softener makes things worse too

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 08-Jan-17 12:43:02

yes to 'service wash'. any wash hot enough will do.
I personally wash tea towels at 75 or higher with just soda crystals every other week or so.
filter gets cleaned every 6 months the couns are mine to keep

Twolittlejobbys Sun 08-Jan-17 12:44:25

Yes, cheap white vinegar, just throw it in the drum (empty obviously) and put it on the longest hottest wash smile

adriaana Sun 08-Jan-17 13:37:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

OneWithTheForce Sun 08-Jan-17 13:46:12

I never wash below 60 and I never get fusty washing.

littleblackdress26 Sun 08-Jan-17 16:20:41

ahhh I see I wash general whites and darks at 40 and then sheets towels underwear at 60 .
these are great tips thank you!
how much vinegar or soda crystals would I throw in ?
and the soda crystals go in the drawer I'm guessing?

OneWithTheForce Sun 08-Jan-17 16:23:10

I do a couple of big glugs of vinegar in the fabric softener compartment and 1 vanish scoop of soda crystals I use a scoop of soda crystals in every wash but the vinegar I only use in place of fabric softener for towels.

LightsLoveLaughter Sun 08-Jan-17 16:31:10

I had to stop using the Ariel with fabreeze as it was causing a horrible musty smell.

Once I stopped using them, the clean washing smell returned.

littleblackdress26 Sun 08-Jan-17 18:44:36

ah ok thank you .

wowfudge Sun 08-Jan-17 18:48:27

Are you using liquid or tab detergent? If so, switch to powder as the lack of bleaching agents in the liquid products means the warm wet environment inside the machine becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and mould.

MrsT2007 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:51:42

Wipe out and clean all the seals, clean the dispenser drawer thoroughly too.

Run bio powder on an empty drum at 90 with a big slug of Zoflora in the conditioner tray.

littleblackdress26 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:19:31

i use Persil non bio powder and comfort conditioner . I've just run some soda crystals through so I'm praying that will sort it. if not I've got zoflora and vinegar ready . thanks for replying

littleblackdress26 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:20:25

by the way a pp said they run vinegar through with their towels , what does vinegar do to clothes?

OneWithTheForce Mon 09-Jan-17 16:25:21

That was me, it does the same to clothes as it does to towels, it softens them. perfectly fine to use in clothes in place of fabric softener. The reason I use it for towels is that fabric softener leaves a coating on towels (and everything really) that reduces the absorbency of them so I don't use it on them. Clothes don't really need to be absorbent and I like the smell of fabric softener so I use it on clothes.

littleblackdress26 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:26:16

ah I understand now ! thanks

shovetheholly Thu 12-Jan-17 13:42:14

I had this. I found that it was using non-bio gel that was the problem. I'm now using bio Ariel, and my washing smells fab.

shovetheholly Thu 12-Jan-17 13:42:26

(Sorry, that should say 'now using bio Ariel powder')

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now