Talk

Advanced search

Heelllppp!!! Moving house and full of sh*te...

(9 Posts)
SparklyGlitterPants Sat 07-Jan-17 19:00:52

Evening all.

I'm currently renting at the min but should be moving into my new house in the next 4 ish weeks.
There are 6 of us and the place is beyond cluttered despite having done a clear out of old toys etc just before Xmas.

Would any one have any tips on decluttering and deep cleaning a bit at a time so that when we move I just need yo give it a normalish clean over before handing back the keys?

I don't have time to just completely blitz the place over a couple of days unfortunately; even though I would absolutely love to.

Thanks.

SparklyGlitterPants Sat 07-Jan-17 19:01:59

Oh and also how to stop random shite just creeping back in once i've gotten rid of something (which usually jappens when I do a small bit at a time).

Thinkingofausername1 Mon 09-Jan-17 10:12:26

I'm watching this thread as I'm wondering the same Although not moving!I'm sure someone will have some great ideas soon💡And good luck smile

Glittermakeseverythingbetter Mon 09-Jan-17 11:16:56

There's a carrierbag a day thread on here, sorry don't know how to link. Can you manage a bag a day?

Heirhelp Mon 09-Jan-17 12:47:01

If you have lots to get rid of then look at the pile of stuff and decide what to keep rather than what to get rid of. You will declutter much more that way.

I find I can only do so much as once and you might still find when you unpack that you still have more stuff to get rid of.

Gooseygoosey12345 Mon 09-Jan-17 13:03:00

Get your boxes ready and do a room a day. All summer clothes can be put away. All of the toys that aren't really being played with can be put into boxes. Don't do masses of food shopping and try to put most of your kitchen utensils away. Start with the bedrooms, leave only what you need. Then do the living room, then the kitchen. Be brutal, box up as much as possible and make sure you have plenty of boxes for what's left. By the last week you should only have that weeks clothes, toothbrushes and shower gel, and only enough food shopping to last that week (plus any REALLY necessary stuff). I've moved a lot and one room at a time really is the most efficient way. Plus when you get to the other end the boxes can go in the relevant rooms straight away.
I'd love to do this as a job blush

specialsubject Mon 09-Jan-17 17:10:27

'random shite' is not brought in by the fairies. Stop everyone from buying it.

are you the only adult? Every child over five can do its bit.

SparklyGlitterPants Wed 11-Jan-17 22:27:50

Thanks all. Loving the box up a room one at a time idea. Living room will be dead handy (its only furniture and tv grin

Special, it feels like I am sometimes but no, dh husband is here too but I am both his, and 7yr old dds full time carer, as well as having 3ds' (17 12 and 4).

The teenager is a disgusting lazy lump of a hoarder (he's not actually disgusting but just his attitude to the pit he calls his bedroom). I've threatened to just chuck everything bar furniture and electricals out of it this morning. He has until friday to clean and chuck stuff.

SparklyGlitterPants Wed 11-Jan-17 22:30:45

Oh meant to say I got rid of five bags of clothes to the charity shop and loads of paperwork has been recycled also so have made some progress.

Thanks again all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now