Talk

Advanced search

Which coffee machine?

(16 Posts)
remingtonmaa Thu 05-Jan-17 12:39:31

It's my birthday soon and I want to buy myself a coffee machine. There are so many available, can anyone suggest a good one? I'd like to make lattes, cappuccinos etc.

Thanks

fifitrixibellethe1st Thu 05-Jan-17 12:56:27

If you like your coffee to taste of coffee then a Nespresso machine, without a doubt. Mine is my "burning building" item, I could not be without it. My Mum has a Tassimo which is not bad but I find the coffees available for it a bit bland.

hopscotchi Thu 05-Jan-17 15:17:59

I've got a Dolce Gusto It's amazing machine, love all the different varieties you can play around with!

JaxingJump Thu 05-Jan-17 15:24:35

I bought recently a little one as a gift on Amazon. It's morphs Richards I think but the beauty of it is that you put the grounds and water in, set the timer and it's brewed and ready in a travel mug for when you want it. Reading the reviews a load of people said they set it to be ready and smell to wake them up so they can reach for it from bed! It's only £30

OrangeSunset Thu 05-Jan-17 15:48:12

We've been through A LOT of coffee machines over the years, and the one we have now is the best by far - a small, neat Krups model with a milk steamer on the side.

We buy coffee beans from a local roaster in kilo bags then grind at home in a (Krups) grinder. Miles cheaper than the small packs from the supermarket, and much less waste than Nespresso

BorisJohnsonsHair Thu 05-Jan-17 15:52:10

They're all a terrible waste of plastic - some places are banning the sale of those ridiculous pods. What's wrong with a cafetiere?

SoupDragon Thu 05-Jan-17 15:52:21

If you like your coffee to taste of coffee then a Nespresso machine, without a doubt.

Only if you're limiting yourself to pod machines.

I have a "De’Longhi EC680 Dedica Pump Espresso Coffee Machine" which takes ground coffee and is fabulous. I'm not limited to any one coffee blend either.

SoupDragon Thu 05-Jan-17 15:54:34

They're all a terrible waste of plastic

Only if you are limiting yourself to a plastic pod machine.

What's wrong with a cafetiere?

It doesn't make the same kind of coffee.

CrossfireHurricane Thu 05-Jan-17 15:57:26

We have a sage machine that grinds etc etc.
Buy locally roasted beans..seems to do the job ok

EthelEgbert Thu 05-Jan-17 15:59:39

We use a Gaggia. Makes a nice crema and knock your socks off espressso and nice steamy foamy lattes.

mateysmum Thu 05-Jan-17 16:01:58

Gaggia Classic for a traditional ground coffee machine. It's been around for years and makes superb coffee.

InterchangeableEmma Thu 05-Jan-17 16:26:31

A proper espresso machine and a separate grinder is the best way to go, I quite agree. Gaggia Classic is good one but there are other, similar ones about.

The pod things just aren't worth the money, apart from the waste (which is dreadful) and the ongoing unnecessary expense of pods the coffee isn't really up to scratch.

A good, simple filter coffee machine is also worth having, failing a decent espresso machine.

Roseformeplease Thu 05-Jan-17 16:33:13

We have the cheapest Gaggia. Very good indeed.

InterchangeableEmma Thu 05-Jan-17 16:35:51

Cheapo espresso machines are often a mistake mind - they need to build up a lot of pressure to make the coffee and many of them can't. Those that do give tend to give up the ghost within a year of two.

InterchangeableEmma Thu 05-Jan-17 16:37:08

X post. Gaggia is a brand id f trust

happynewyearchum Thu 05-Jan-17 16:40:19

Nespresso without a doubt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now