Talk

Advanced search

Does Acrylic Yarn Felt?

(5 Posts)
LisaMed1 Tue 03-Jan-17 15:46:20

I found this idea for Home made dryer balls, and tbh the commercial ones I used to use sounded like bricks being tumble dried so I quite fancy these. I've got loads of yarn hanging around, but being a cheapskate most of its acrylic.

You basically ball up some yarn, knot it into tights, wash repeatedly on 60 degrees and you should end up with felted balls that can be used for dryer balls and you can apparently put essential oils on.

www.tescoliving.com/articles/how-make-wool-dryer-balls

Mind you, I haven't got a pair of tights - it's strictly socks here.

wherehavealltheusernamesgone11 Tue 03-Jan-17 17:02:33

No acrylic won't felt. More chance of it melting than felting!

LisaMed1 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:25:36

Thanks, I suspected as much.

The question is now - which is cheaper, buying woollen yarn or dryer balls? I'll see if I see any odd balls in the charity shops.

NotMrandMrs Tue 03-Jan-17 20:53:20

If you have any old wool jumpers you could unravel them and use that yarn.

LisaMed1 Tue 03-Jan-17 22:59:27

NotMrandMrs Thank you. I'm too cheap to buy woollen jumpers, but you've give me something else to look for in a charity shop. Or I may just buy some dratted dryer balls. It just seemed like a logical use for all the odd balls of acrylic that I have lying around.

That's the trouble. You find an awesome life hack on the web but by the time you've tried it out it costs you more than just buying something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now