Talk

Advanced search

drying clothes!

(16 Posts)
Babytalkobsession Tue 03-Jan-17 11:52:03

Hello.

We have a 3 year old and baby so endless washing. We mostly use a tumble drier as not a lot of space for airer (small bedrooms / bathroom and don't really want it cluttering downstairs)

My problem is, the tumble needs to have the vent out the window, so the window is open whilst we have the heating on! It's in an open plan space that the moment so the whole large room gets cold.

In a few months we're starting an extension to give us a small utility room, so need a temporary solution.

Are heated airers worth it? Thinking I could have it on over night & put it away in the morning? Faff? Or does anyone know if you can run the tumble with the vent inside, but have a dehumidifier on at the same time? We already have one as previous house was damp. Is this crazy from an energy PoV - tumble & dehumidifier at same time?

Any other ideas?

drinkingchanelno5 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:47:16

Can something like this work as an interim solution? www.manomano.co.uk/window/airlock-100-window-sealing-1777250

Letmesleepalready Tue 03-Jan-17 13:49:45

We've put our tumble dryer in our bedroom, with a bit of mde under it to protect the carpet. Like that we can close the door and keep the rest of the place warm.

Letmesleepalready Tue 03-Jan-17 13:52:01

drinking that's a clever thing ! Might get one of those too!

Letmesleepalready Tue 03-Jan-17 13:52:22

Mdf not mde

Baylisiana Tue 03-Jan-17 13:53:40

I have a Lakeland heated airer and I think it is so worth it. I have a normal airer too, and if you put things on both at the same time the difference fter a few hours is huge. Yeah, it is a bit of a faff taking it down all the time but needs must. I think you should still get a dehumidifier and have some times with windows open to air the rooms, as with stuff drying you do need some anti damp measures.

hp2 Tue 03-Jan-17 13:58:25

Lakeland heated aired, they are fantastic . I managed with 3 under 3 and no tumble dryer!

user1483391390 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:17:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MudCity Tue 03-Jan-17 14:20:57

Another vote for the Lakeland heated airer. Best purchase we ever made. We don't have a tumble dryer so use it all the time in the winter.
If it broke down tomorrow, we would order another immediately.

Cakescakescakes Tue 03-Jan-17 14:26:34

You will need to ventilate the rooms with a heated airer too or you'll end up with mould etc

Thingywhatsit Tue 03-Jan-17 14:28:30

I don't have a dryer, have a small 3 bed house. Only heat downstairs, upstairs is not that warm!

My solutions to the constant drying, is
A) using to clothes airers per one load of washing. I put washing on in evening, and it gets hung out in lounge/hallway when I go to bed. By using two airers, the clothes are dry by morning, they get folded after I've had my first cuppa in the morning!

B) if washing sheets/towels/thick jumpers then I try to make sure it goes out on line in the morning. As long as the Slabs look like they are drying, then my washing will dry a bit. It then gets brought in around 3/4ish at this time of year and gets condensed onto one airer and placed out of the way by front door (we don't use it) then at bedtime it gets split onto both airers and will be dry by morning.

Only brought my second airer about 3 months ago and it has definitely made the whole drying washing thing a helluva lot easier!

I also will time ironing sessions (I do it once or twice a week - quite often in Autumn-winter I will iron a load straight out of the washing machine and then put it to dry. I do ironing in kitchen and the window is open when I iron wet stuff! I find ironing school shirts straight out of the washing machine a lot easier and quicker than waiting until they are dry

Babytalkobsession Tue 03-Jan-17 20:59:35

Ooh lots of helpful replies thank you!

I'm really like the look of the heated rail, but as we have a dehumidifier in the loft will try that alongside a conventional airer and see how we get on!

Putting the tumble upstairs would be ideal but our bedroom is just too small with ds2 cot in with us (it's a bit of a squeeze while we wait for extension!!)

Another option is teaching ds1 to keep his clothes clean for longer!! grin

Baylisiana Wed 04-Jan-17 00:24:08

If you do decide to get the heated airer, I would recommend getting the one that has a cover available to buy also. The cover makes a big difference.

MargotLovedTom Wed 04-Jan-17 00:52:55

You can get a container to which the hose of the tumble dryer attaches?

MargotLovedTom Wed 04-Jan-17 00:55:21

www.parts4appliances.co.uk/tumble-dryer-condensing-box-kit.html?gclid=Cj0KEQiAtK3DBRCBxt-Yxduq5p4B

kel12345 Wed 04-Jan-17 00:57:35

We just put washing on radiators and normal airers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now