Talk

Advanced search

Too much stuff

(6 Posts)
Letmesleepalready Mon 02-Jan-17 16:32:17

Our place is in constant mess, because we have too much stuff.
We've been following Marie Kondo's book, and although we've got rid of a ridiculous amount, we still have too much stuff for the space we've got, and we have no more space for more storage.
How do you become ruthless with your stuff?

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 02-Jan-17 16:35:58

The best way to Kondo is to start with the assumption that Everything in that pile of clutter is going out, and then pick out the (few) bits and pieces to keep.
Much more effective than trying to throw out stuff from a pile, and keeping what's left

Snap8TheCat Mon 02-Jan-17 16:36:36

I think you have to tackle how much is coming in to the house too. No point decluttering if it's coming in just as quick.

Letmesleepalready Mon 02-Jan-17 16:40:32

Breakfast I think that's where we haven't done it properly. We've done the categories but picked more of the stuff we don't want, instead of concentrating on the stuff we love. Will have to try it again !

Snap I thought we were getting better with not bringing stuff in, but I'm not so sure anymore ! (Obviously Christmas presents don't help !)

bonzo77 Mon 02-Jan-17 16:45:23

Ruthless. Get rid of everything you've not used or got pleasure from in the last 12 months. Exceptions might include baby / children's things for hand me downs. And properly get rid: freecycle, charity shop, sell, dump. And also stop buying more stuff. Ask yourself regarding each new purchase: do I need it? Do I love it? Do I already have one that does the same thing? What will I lose to make space for it?

Letmesleepalready Mon 02-Jan-17 16:50:41

bonzo we do try and give most to charity shops, luckily we have a few nearby !

I want to get to the stage where everything is put away, and not just piled on every flat surface !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now