Talk

Advanced search

Help to get sweat smells from teenage boys clothes.....

(28 Posts)
doradoo Sun 01-Jan-17 12:50:01

They seem resistant to usual washing - even washing twice before wearing again.

Any tips and tricks to get the smells out - or do I need to dump the t-shirts and start afresh?

wobblywonderwoman Sun 01-Jan-17 12:52:09

Spray or dab white vinegar on the affected areas and wash in biological powder. They will come out perfect.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 01-Jan-17 12:52:34

Soak in Biotex before washing?

Have the owners switch to a stronger deodorant?

AmpersandreamingOfAWhiteXmas Sun 01-Jan-17 12:54:53

Add dettol laundry cleanser to the wash; it works a treat on sweat smells.

Chasingsquirrels Sun 01-Jan-17 12:57:04

I find washing hotter helps

SlipperyJack Sun 01-Jan-17 12:57:05

This stuff works beautifully on my horrid running kit - and I think if it can remove the underarm honk from my T-shirts, it can fix any pong. It is biological though so probably not suitable if the wearer of clothes has sensitive skin.

I buy mine from Ocado but it's fairly widely available - and worth every penny imo.

Astro55 Sun 01-Jan-17 12:58:59

Hang out in the sun

BertrandRussell Sun 01-Jan-17 12:59:20

MKe him change his clothes more often, wash more and use antiperspirant regularly.

SoupDragon Sun 01-Jan-17 13:01:37

I find putting Zoflora in the softener drawer works on rugby kit.

anotherdayanothersquabble Sun 01-Jan-17 13:08:34

Tablespoon of bicarb of soda in every wash.

Mybeautifullife1 Sun 01-Jan-17 13:09:50

60 degrees, white vinegar, bio wash powder.

defineme Sun 01-Jan-17 13:09:59

I just put neat biological liquid onto the armpits, otherwise smell lingers.

PlaymobilPirate Sun 01-Jan-17 13:11:21

Dip the armpits in cheapo vodka. Leave it to soak in a bit then wash on 60.

Millionsmom Sun 01-Jan-17 13:11:42

I use lemon juice on DHs honking gym kit. I splash the armpits liberally and throw it in with a hot bio wash. Works a treat. It was very grim before I started doing this.

GlitterGlue Sun 01-Jan-17 13:25:58

The dettol stuff seems to have worked well on a couple of my work tops which just wouldn't come clean. I buy the sensitive version.

e1y1 Mon 02-Jan-17 00:38:54

Wash in biological washing powder - NOT liquid (they don't contain oxygen bleach) in the hottest temperature the fabric can bear, also use neat white distilled Vinegar - either in a spray bottle (cheap from £1 store and the like) and spray affected areas, or in the rinse cycle (adding in place of fabric softener in the dispenser).

Also, don't use fabric softener - by design, fabric softener is designed to "lock in" scents (mainly of the FS of course), however, it will lock in the smell of sweat unless thoroughly washed away. If you want to use it, best to run a wash cycle without it first, check the clothes smell clean and then run a separate rinse cycle with softener after.

dangermouseisace Mon 02-Jan-17 09:25:56

Advise son to scrub under his arms using flannel/soap/sponge daily before putting deodorant on. Ex husband didn't do this in the old days and had to regularly chuck out stuff.

PinkSwimGoggles Mon 02-Jan-17 09:28:55

make him soak in bio powder & cold water over night.
then wash as warm as the garment can take it (at least 40) and put some white vinegar in the softener compartment.
dry as quick as you can, preferably outside.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Mon 02-Jan-17 09:33:06

Zoflora!! Cures my husband's running kit of any residual stinks

lbanks Mon 02-Jan-17 14:42:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Atenco Mon 02-Jan-17 19:27:50

Do your future daughter-in-law a favour and get your son to take responsability for his own washing.

Sorry, woke up feeling very feminist today

Rudymentary Mon 02-Jan-17 19:32:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SwearyGodmother Mon 02-Jan-17 19:34:39

Vanish with the green lid deals with stinky sports kit so I'd imagine it has a chance against teenage boys' pits. Just a scoop in each wash.

ChishandFips33 Mon 02-Jan-17 21:43:39

White vinegar on the pits and in the fabric conditioner dispenser bit for final rinse - it neutralises the bacteria that causes the whiffs

missedout Tue 03-Jan-17 14:41:56

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now