Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher tablets not dissolving

(21 Posts)
shitwithsugaron Thu 29-Dec-16 17:58:47

Dishwasher is less than 12 months old so I'll be unimpressed if it's on the blink.

Tablets just aren't dissolving, the little door is opening etc but the tablets just aren't making it any further than the door hinge where it sits until the cycle is over.

We've had issues with our boiler and hot water so could this be the problem? Or would it help to change the detergent we use (we're using finish at the moment)?

Iheartpedro Thu 29-Dec-16 18:33:48

Don't put them in the door thing, just throw them in loose, that's what we do

MrsHathaway Thu 29-Dec-16 18:49:25

1. Agree, chuck them in the bottom, not the drawer, regardless of the instructions.

2. Are you using a hot enough wash? Some tablets don't dissolve under 60 degrees and eco washes are often 50.

CloudPerson Thu 29-Dec-16 18:55:06

We use gel capsules now due to the same thing.

Pallisers Thu 29-Dec-16 18:58:28

when this happened up the power washer thingy was on the blink.

If you throw them in the bottom and the stuff isn't clean, then you might want someone to take a look.

All appliances are built really shoddily these days but I think dishwashers are the worst.

WhatInTheWorldIsGoingOn Thu 29-Dec-16 19:00:52

This happened to ours. Turns out the litre holder was getting wet when we put stuff in the dishwasher then the plastic cover of the tablet was sticking to it. Solved it by buying powder too and just a thin layer in the holder first before tablet.

shitwithsugaron Thu 29-Dec-16 19:22:29

Ok will try chucking the tablet in next time. I always put it on the hottest wash so don't think it could be that. It's just so frustrating to have a dishwasher and still have to rewash I'd say 50% of stuff by hand!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 29-Dec-16 19:24:17

Is the top drawer pushed all the way in, with nothing at the very front? This sometimes stops the compartment opening properly in ours if the drawer or something is resting on it.

Chasingsquirrels Thu 29-Dec-16 19:26:35

I never put the tablet in the drop down bit, just throw it in the machine.

HmmmHashtag Thu 29-Dec-16 19:42:00

I buy gel tablets and put them in the cutlery rack thingamy

ScarletForYa Thu 29-Dec-16 19:45:26

I came on to say no hot water running through the dishwasher....

Naty1 Thu 29-Dec-16 20:00:52

Ive found finish tablets with the plastic on dont really dissolve. The paper ones always used to work. I now use tesco own ones.

domesticslattern Thu 29-Dec-16 21:43:05

Touch your dishwasher door while the cycle is running to check it is actually hot water going through on your preferred cycle.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Thu 29-Dec-16 21:45:43

Finish don't seem to disolve as well as Fairy ime. We us fairy and just pop them in an empty bit of cultery holder.

LowDudgeon Thu 29-Dec-16 21:53:00

I run mine (cheap Bosch) on a 30-min quick wash with Fairy blue/yellow capsules & they dissolve perfectly - unlike powder ones I've used before

If they're not falling out of the holder is there something blocking the way?

LowDudgeon Thu 29-Dec-16 21:55:12

oh, just seen there's more than one kind of blue & yellow. Mine are ultra I think (dead cheap from B&M)

BakeOffBiscuits Thu 29-Dec-16 21:56:48

Something must be blocking it form falling out into the dishwasher if it's still in the door.

shitwithsugaron Thu 29-Dec-16 22:02:53

Ok will be trying Fairy I think. The little door is opening and releasing the tablet but it's just falling to the floor of the dishwasher. Hopefully gel will dissolve better. Thanks all

LowDudgeon Thu 29-Dec-16 22:12:09

d/ws are all cold fill afaik, like w/ms these days, so it's nothing to do with your boiler. my tablet/capsules fall on the floor too (except when something catches them on the way) & they should still dissolve completely as the water heats up.

are you scraping all the solids off before you put the dirty stuff in? & not leaving things overnight so the crud sets hard? (I do tend to leave mine overnight, but then give them a short soak in hot water next day before loading the d/w)

rabbit123 Thu 29-Dec-16 22:51:05

Hot water won't make any difference. Dishwashers are cold fill only and heat up themselves.
I wouldn't recommend just throwing them in as this will cause the tablet to dissolve during the pre-rinse instead of the main wash.
Could be that the spray arm is blocked and the water isn't getting to the tablet to dissolve it. Have you tried running a dishwasher cleaner through the machine on a 70 degree cycle or taking the spray arms off and washing them in the sink?
Try using Finish Classic or Finish powder, that might work better than the ones in the dissolvable plastic wraps

rabbit123 Thu 29-Dec-16 22:54:36

Oh another thing, are you in a hard water area? If so, do you use separate salt and rinse aid? Tablets might struggle to dissolve in hard water.

I've never not had dishwasher tablets dissolve properly. I prefer Finish classic tablets, salt & rinse aid rather than all in one or fancy pods. Fairy always leave behind tea stains so I never use those

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now