Talk

Advanced search

Six year old chores

(5 Posts)
redcaryellowcar Thu 29-Dec-16 10:09:16

I was reading a thread yesterday about a seven year old boy who after a treat day out with his grandparents was terribly rude to them and just wanted to play on his iPad. In an attempt to prevent this happening to my six year old, could you please advise me on the sort of chores/ jobs I should be expecting him to do around the house. I have duly noted that he is not to have an iPad! ;)
I would also welcome any toy organisation or storage ideas which might help the small ones (he has a younger brother) tidy up themselves.

celeste84 Thu 29-Dec-16 13:36:32

Theres a similar thread ongoing on the chat forum that maybe of some use for you www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2813646-chores-for-an-eight-year-old?

redcaryellowcar Thu 29-Dec-16 18:48:48

Thank you, I've just had a read through, very helpful.

redcaryellowcar Thu 29-Dec-16 18:55:17

Thank you, I've just had a read through, very helpful.

Chocolateteabag Fri 30-Dec-16 19:35:14

My 6 year old DS has to clear his plates into the dishwasher, fetch things when asked (a few times a day I don't have him running around all the time) put his clothes in the wash basket or folded at bath time (socks turned right way out!) and I am trying to reach him to fold a bath towel to put on radiator after using it

I try not to overload him though - there are times when he does need to just chill out and I do let him play on the iPad when he's been good.
I think being overly prescriptive with orders and chores can backfire - I want my dc's to see jobs and do them as needed (eventually in time) and not just do what is on their "chore list"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now