Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for a decluttering book?

(21 Posts)
Mrsemcgregor Tue 27-Dec-16 19:38:26

Just that really, I have read the reviews on Marie Kondo but it sounds a bit nuts for my liking.

(I would be happy to be told it's life changing though!)

amroc18 Tue 27-Dec-16 19:46:48

I know you're looking for other recs (and can't help with those sorry) but Kondo is def worth a read, just take the zany bits with a pinch of salt as the principles are very sound smile

EatSpamAmandaLamb Tue 27-Dec-16 19:52:09

I'll be honest, I've read them all and they all said the same thing. That was until I read Kondo. I resisted (thought it was guff) for a while but it really helped me change the way I think for more than a one time go through of the understairs cupboard. I now have zero clutter (unless you count 6 children? wink) and processes for making sure I don't accumulate anymore.

Mrsemcgregor Tue 27-Dec-16 19:53:58

Hmmmm! Maybe I will have to give it a go. It does have lots of positive reviews but I do t know if I can take all the being grateful to your clothes etc etc

I think I may need to open my mind, and I do have a lovely Amazon gift voucher balance to pay for it smile

emsyj37 Tue 27-Dec-16 19:54:57

Kondo is life-changing and not at all nuts. Sorry, I know that isn't the answer you were looking for - but it's true!

Mrsemcgregor Tue 27-Dec-16 19:58:00

Ok I have done it and order crazy Kondo!

I will let you know when my life and home are changed wink

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Tue 27-Dec-16 19:59:57

Kondo book is FANTASTIC

It is too extreme for us right now so we haven't followed her full method, but what her book has done is change my relationship with objects in my home.

I think v differently about things that might be useful one day, meh clothes, presents from loved ones that aren't quite me, things waiting to get fixed, paperwork that I think I should hold on to, clothes that I hope to slim down into, knick knacks that I bought on holiday

The book teaches you how to only have objects you love in your home and happily say goodbye to everything else without regret

As I said, her full method isn't appropriate for us at the moment, but our house is vastly less cluttered for reading her book

Hopefully in a few years we will fully Kondo our house smile

Mrsemcgregor Tue 27-Dec-16 20:05:03

Now I am getting excited about this damn book, I blame the last of the Christmas alcohol!

I really want to make a change in my home in the new year. It's tidy enough and mostly clean. But there is just far too much stuff, everywhere.

What is Kondos answer for stuff that definitely doesn't give you joy but gives joy to your DH/P and DCs? Does she guide you through that mine field?

didireallysaythat Tue 27-Dec-16 21:03:19

Embrace the kondo way of living and borrow it from the library so you won't have a copy to store once you've finished. The lists and order of tidying are all online and easily found.

Knittedfrog Tue 27-Dec-16 21:10:48

Home organization by Toni Hammersley. Or her Facebook/web site A bowl full of lemons.

Mrsemcgregor Wed 28-Dec-16 08:22:23

Thanks knittedfrog I shall check that out.

TheFlis12345 Thu 29-Dec-16 22:58:02

I don't know how Marie Kondo does it, but that book literally changes they way your brain works without you realising! Could not recommend highly enough.

alphabook Thu 29-Dec-16 23:05:53

I love Konmari. The bits about thanking your shoes for working so hard for you every day I take with a very large pinch of salt, but it really does change the way you think about all the useless clutter you have lying around.

Mrsemcgregor Fri 30-Dec-16 08:28:42

The Kondo book has arrived!

Any tips on stuff I might need to get started (I am thinking bin bags etc)?

I will let you know how it goes smile

squiggletea Fri 30-Dec-16 09:10:24

Your house will provide...

This is in the book somewhere. It's true though. The book also addresses other people's stuff.

Time is the most important thing you need!!! I've had the book for a year. With a busy life, I'm nowhere near done. However: my home is tidier than ever!

goingonabearhunt1 Fri 30-Dec-16 12:58:17

I'm another recommend for Kondo.

I was sceptical at first as well but it really does change your mindset.

I was able to stop feeling guilty about things and let them go. And also realise how much stuff I had that I didn't need or enjoy. I went through the whole process about halfway through last year and carried on with it over a few months.

Now I go back and occasionally re-do bits if I feel like it's building up again but it's never gone back to the level it was. It's made me a more careful shopper as well. If I see something and I have something similar/think I might not use it/don't have space, I don't buy it.

pithivier Fri 30-Dec-16 16:23:53

As a Kondo enthusiast I offer 3 pieces of advice

When you begin don't get rid of other house members stuff or try to convince them to clear. After 6 months my OH gradually started to clear 40 years of paperwork and eventually cleared the garage, which has aggravated me for 20 years. Others have to come on board in their own time.

Down load Jershaand duppa list of categories. This because it is very hard to know where to begin. The book is very prescriptive and it's actual method does not work for everyone, because of time and space constraints. Begin small by picking just one category that you feel comfortable with or which is giving you grief.

Skim read the book, because the beginning is all the airy fairy stuff. The second half of the book gives the practicalities. I think the absolute best advice in the book is "same thing in same place". I now have one box for medical stuff. Collecting things from around the house yielded, 8 bottles of cough mixture, 17 packets of plasters an enough painkillers to start my own shop"

redexpat Fri 30-Dec-16 16:28:05

Take before and after photos.

Know what can be recycled, where and when. Where I am it has to be in clear bags, so I bought lots of clear bin bags.

pithivier Fri 30-Dec-16 16:30:22

I think the list is now called KonMari declutter list

parklives Fri 30-Dec-16 21:56:16

Watching... I can't wait to get started on my wardrobe, in Oct I counted everything in there: 300 items hanging up (Dh has wardrobe in the other bedroom).
This doesn't include a chest of drawers full of stuff, and a few boxes in the loft blush
My excuse is I need to lose weight, but I know even when I do, I will want new clothes anyway!

Mrsemcgregor Sat 31-Dec-16 10:18:34

I made a tentative start yesterday on the kids chest of drawers. I have a whole bag full of stuff to go to charity/clothes bank. Another bag of school uniform that is too small for DS1 but can be used for DS2 come September and I have moved several items from DS1s drawers to DS2s drawers (there are 3 years between them and yes here was lots of 3 year old tshirts in there!).

I then refolded everything in the special fold and it really was so much easier this morning when it came to finding them clothes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now