Talk

Advanced search

New mattress: Vi Spring, Simon Horn, or what?

(12 Posts)
Riversiderunner Mon 26-Dec-16 22:28:14

We have a lumpy mattress that we bought cheaply six years ago and I want to replace.

I've just had an unexpected bonus at work so could spare some money for a good one. My back is fucked after children, and so I want to get a properly good one.

But which one? I don't want to go mad (some are eight grand which is too much) but I am happy to spend a bit to get a really good one.

I was all set on a Simon Horn one (obvs I need to go and test them in person) but then someone said oh no, you need Vi Spring.

I'd love any recommendations or thoughts...

Thank you!

ChishandFips33 Tue 27-Dec-16 01:55:09

Can't help with those brands but DH has a bad back and we've had Tempur - great for the first few months but then aggravated his back terribly. He gets warm in bed anyway and the foam made him hotter which made the mattress softer!

We now have two IKEA ones (firm on the main bed and medium firm in the spare room, where I can retreat as I find the firm too hard but it's great for DH) - lots of natural materials based on the extensive advice from JohnRyan by design here

I find choosing a nightmare as it's such a lot of money and lying on one in a shop for a few minutes is not the best guide!
Hope you get sorted

Riversiderunner Tue 27-Dec-16 17:02:50

Thank you so much! It's such a lot of money so I want to do my research!

hairymuffet Thu 29-Dec-16 21:34:28

Vi sprung good !

ReallyExhaustedLlama Thu 29-Dec-16 21:38:04

We'd really recommend the Leesa - it's fab.

anahata Fri 30-Dec-16 03:42:41

Hi, I've had 10 years working in the furniture industry. Dreams and Bensons both do what's called a comfort guarantee, so if you don't like it, you have a month to change it.

Real quality manufactures that I have bought from include Vi Spring, Hypnos, Staples, Sleepeeze and Sealy.

Even a thin layer of memory foam or latex on top of a speung mattress will make it hotter than a normal one.

More than happy to answer questions and point you in the right direction.

spaceodyssey Fri 30-Dec-16 13:51:12

You can get some lovely mattresses here for back problems and really good prices.

rabbit123 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:48:36

Sealy mattresses. They're amazing. A worth while investment

Riversiderunner Sun 08-Jan-17 13:51:25

Thanks all - only just seen your replies as I don't get notifications for some reason.

I ended up buying a Vi Spring which is coming at the end of the month. Can't wait - and thank you all for your recommendations/advice - really useful (and reassuring!)

HowardMoonsJazzTrumpet Sun 08-Jan-17 13:59:50

There have been a run of mattress threads recently. I like Hypnos, Harrison & Vi Spring and would avoid Dreams & Bensons like the plague.

Someone on another thread recommended a bespoke handmade mattress brand, John Ryan. Looking at their website, they look well made with good quality components and reasonable prices.

I'm not a fan of the foam ones, too hot and 'sinky'. I prefer a traditional pocket sprung.

HowardMoonsJazzTrumpet Sun 08-Jan-17 14:01:33

Sorry, just realised you've bought your mattress and updated the thread. Duh

Riversiderunner Sun 08-Jan-17 14:45:40

No, still good to know I didn't go for a foam one howard !

One man tried to sell me a Tempur one but I've read things that have put me off them and you backed that up, so thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: