Talk

Advanced search

Black mould in a bathroom - any ideas?

(24 Posts)
alchemist77 Sat 24-Dec-16 14:22:08

Hello all. An elderly relative has finally agreed to let me help them clean their house (very proud, poor mobility and eyesight) after which I'm planning to pay for a regular cleaner to help keep on top of it as I live far away.

It's a bit of a state to say the least. The bathroom, especially the shower cubicle, is very bad and has been like a long time. Lots of black mould around the seals and the grouting. Does anyone have any tips or can anyone recommend good products? I wish I could afford to have it all ripped out and replaced but I can't - so any tips most welcome. Not afraid of hard work but can only spend limited time on it. What can I do in a day?

Advice much appreciated.

GeillisTheWitch Sat 24-Dec-16 14:24:14

Spray bleach should get rid of the worst of the mould. Sounds like ventilation is an issue, could they get a fan fitted?

wowbutter Sat 24-Dec-16 14:25:34

Cillit bang black mouldy is good. Spray on, leave room, return, scrub and rinse away. May take a few goes for stubborn mould. My elderly in laws took four or five of serious scrubbing and even then I wasn't happy.

SilentBob Sat 24-Dec-16 14:28:47

I got cif mould remover about 6 months ago- used it then and have just had to redo it now! I'm recommending it to everyone!

What a lovely thing to do, op flowers

SilentBob Sat 24-Dec-16 14:29:28

Btw it was just a spray, leave and rinse job. No scrubbing!!!! 😁

Wineloffa Sat 24-Dec-16 14:31:57

Dettol mound remover is excellent too (it's a spray in a green bottle). It's transformed my bathroom. I would also suggest an extractor fan and leaving the window open for a while every day. Good luck OP!

BertieBeats Sat 24-Dec-16 14:35:43

I use the black Cillit Bang spray and works a treat. Used to get it on my wall in the bathroom ,but I literally just spray it on ,rub it in ,leave it to do its thing ,and ta da it's gone without any scrubbing. I also can't remember the last time I had to redo it unlike when I used ordinary bleach and it'd return a month later.

SnorkelParka Sat 24-Dec-16 14:41:29

I got QEP grout cleaner from B&Q www.diy.com/departments/qep-grout-cleaner-500ml/655762_BQ.prd it works like magic. Love it. Good luck. Is it possible to get an automatic extractor fan fitted that goes on whenever the light is switched on, so the mould doesn't accumulate?

80sMum Sat 24-Dec-16 14:42:45

Anything that contains bleach should get rid of most of the mould, but a specific mould remover is often better, as many also contain a fungicide or other preventive ingredient which helps to stop the mould forming again too quickly.

After that, the room needs to be kept heated and ventilated. Ideally, heater on and window open for at least 4 or 5 hours each day. Alternatively, an extractor fan left on for at least 2 hours after every shower and the heating left on. The aim is to keep the room as dry as possible.

StealthPolarBear Sat 24-Dec-16 14:42:46

Dettol in the green bottle melts it away
wasn't impressed by cillt bang

TyneTeas Sat 24-Dec-16 14:45:34

Lakeland stuff is pretty good for this. They do a spray and one in a bottle with a brush

TyneTeas Sat 24-Dec-16 14:46:55

www.lakeland.co.uk/p23823/Blitz-That-Mould-Range

buffalobill Sat 24-Dec-16 15:10:11

HG mould cleaner is what you need. Give it a spray and a good scrub.

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 24-Dec-16 15:14:09

I second Hg mould remover. Did you job while all others failed

ILoveOnionRings Sat 24-Dec-16 15:14:46

Another one recommending the Dettol mould remover (green bottle). I would get the big one and give it all a good spray, leave, rinse and repeat.

It is very good.

Mybeautifullife1 Mon 26-Dec-16 08:24:57

HG is awesome. Wouldn't use anything else now and feel slightly pissed off that I only found out about it recently...

Bobochic Mon 26-Dec-16 08:34:12

You might want to have the seals replaced.

MargotLovedTom Mon 26-Dec-16 08:40:40

Also championing HG Mould Spray. It is the stuff of miracles.

DollyPlastic Mon 26-Dec-16 08:41:52

Astonish mould remover is the best I've used, and it's a quid.

Frith2013 Mon 26-Dec-16 13:51:34

I live in an old cottage so plenty of mould possibilities here! HG mould remover is the best by a mile. I get it from Homebase.

spaceodyssey Mon 26-Dec-16 21:56:31

For mould i always use HG mould cleaner.

MaccaPaccaismyNemesis Mon 26-Dec-16 22:01:07

HG is amazing. Homebase and Lakeland sell it.

DameSquashalot Tue 27-Dec-16 07:39:12

Another fan of HG

HG is an absolute game changer. Don't waste your time on dettol or cillit bang, go straight for HG mould spray. It's like witchcraft

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now