Talk

Advanced search

Sheepskin rug

(16 Posts)
AnUtterIdiot Thu 22-Dec-16 14:24:28

Anyone tried to clean one of these? This one has not been cleaned for cough a while, and is very tangled. I've bought some special sheepskin shampoo and I've also bought a carding brush but exhaustive instructions any tips would be gratefully received...

MinniesAndMickeysNeedCounting Mon 26-Dec-16 15:49:53

Probably won't help as you sound like you want to do a better job than me.

I just stick mine in the washing machine on a wool wash, but we use ours as the dogs blanket.

Shadowridge Mon 26-Dec-16 15:52:05

I wash mine in the machine and air dry. Then i spend an evening on the couch brushing it with a comb. I normally takes a few hours but it looks new again!

mypropertea Mon 26-Dec-16 19:29:04

I wash mine in the summer, dry it on the line and then put it in a cold tumble dryer (basically I keep putting it on the last 10 min of the dial as that it just air and not in any way heated) for 30 min with 2 tennis balls.

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 26-Dec-16 21:20:00

Watching with interest as I also have one but it's a quadruple one so the washing machine isn't an option. I've had it for 13 years and the most it gets is a shake and a hang in the sun every so often. We don't however walk on it.

FantasticFestiveBeasts Mon 26-Dec-16 21:23:36

I wash mine, with woolite on a 30 degree wool wash on my very basic Bosch washer. Dry naturally and then brush with a carder (which I have for my spinning hobby).

If the back of it goes dry and stiff you can wash again with a squirt of lanolin in the dispenser (mine is from bf a very long time ago).

Artandco Mon 26-Dec-16 21:39:04

We have a quadruple one. It gets hand washed with woolite in the bath. Then hung up to dry over a long rope tied between two door handles. With towels underneath for any drips. Brush with sheepskin brush whilst damp

It only gets washed once a year

Artandco Mon 26-Dec-16 21:39:37

And yes smaller one in washing machine one wool wash with woolite

loogino Mon 26-Dec-16 21:46:57

I wash my sheep skin rug with this shampoo and it always gives my rug a good clean.

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 26-Dec-16 21:59:16

Art, does the back of it go all hard or does it remain flexible? Ours sits on an engineered oak floor so if the back goes hard it might be slippy and scratchy? Not that we walk on it really.

Artandco Mon 26-Dec-16 22:24:08

It doesn't go hard, but we move the rug around as it dries so it isn't left in same position. Ours it on a wooden floor. Kids play on it so it's constantly sat and walked on (no shoes)

WankersHacksandThieves Mon 26-Dec-16 22:27:21

Thanks "Art* I might give it a try but maybe wait for better weather so I could get it outside for a blow about.

As for the children playing on it, we used to let ours roll on it when they were little, but only after a bath and clean jammies grin

The play room was carpeted so it's not like their only option was to play on the hard floor ;)

AnUtterIdiot Fri 30-Dec-16 23:29:23

Oh hello! I forgot I had posted this in the post-Xmas mayhem. Thanks so much. I can't put it off any longer, I don't think...

ShizerMinelli Mon 02-Jan-17 19:08:35

Thank you! That's the weekend activity sorted for me! grin

AnUtterIdiot Mon 02-Jan-17 23:42:20

Right! I submerged mine in lukewarm water in the bath and washed it with special sheepskin stuff. Then I rinsed it with cold water until the water ran clear. IT WAS SO HEAVY AND WET. Squeezed out as much water as I could, spread it fur down over the ironing board over the bath overnight as it was still so wet. Now hanging over the rack in the airing cupboard with towels on the floor beneath. Will give it a brush tomorrow.

ozzy5 Tue 03-Jan-17 14:33:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now