Talk

Advanced search

Outside Tumble Dryer

(9 Posts)
user1482408229 Thu 22-Dec-16 12:14:02

I noticed a discussion about this hence the reason I joined. I wanted to ask. I am thinking of putting my dryer outside in one of those plastic garden storage boxes like they have for caravans but dont know quite how the electricity side of it works as in.................Do you connect via a window? Is there a plug gap at the back to connect to an outside socket? Is it safe to use in wet weather?

UncontrolledImmigrant Thu 22-Dec-16 12:16:26

This seems really unwise, I wouldn't.

Do you have a garage you could keep it in?

We have a dehumidifier rather than a dryer, is that an option for you?

ivykaty44 Thu 22-Dec-16 12:16:35

My dad has an electric point outside and it has a plastic cover over it - similar to a camp site electric point ( he has a camper van) so it is possible.

I would be concerned about the electrical appliance being dry.

A shed though should keep it dry.

Poppypoochischristmascrackered Thu 22-Dec-16 12:36:11

I keep mine in the shed, been there 10 years it's a bloody pain though running out to load and unload especially when it's wet and dark, but I have no room in house fsad

user1482408229 Thu 22-Dec-16 12:45:44

I am moving to a very small house and there is no shed, just a small outside area. I have seen these boxes being used for washing machines outside caravans, Hmmmmmmm, maybe will have to have a re think

AppleAndBlackberry Thu 22-Dec-16 13:03:29

You can get a special outdoor power socket installed that has a flap that lifts up and covers the socket when nothing is plugged in. I think they're safe for wet weather as long as it's not driving rain. Even a condenser dryer needs airflow though, mine has vents at the front. You might find an under stairs cupboard or something would be better.

Roomba Thu 22-Dec-16 13:07:05

I have mine, and my washer, outside - but they're in what was the old outdoor WC. I had an electric socket installed, but I guess you could run it with an extension socket through a window at a push.

My main concern would be keeping it in a plastic container. I don't know what you mean by this, but you'll need enough airflow around the drier and it will need to be vented if it's not a condenser one. Heat could build up and cause a fire, I would have thought? I'd think it would be much safer and more secure in a shed or similar.

My friend has her drier in her bedroom as no space, and my neighbours have theirs in their bathroom. Not sure that's very safe either though!

Roomba Thu 22-Dec-16 13:08:05

Washing machines wouldn't generate anywhere near as much heat as a drier, surely? I would triple check the boxes are safe for that use.

wowfudge Thu 22-Dec-16 16:08:01

Friends of ours had a tumble dryer in one of those outside stores. I think it was a vented one and there was a hole cut out of the side for the hose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now