Talk

Advanced search

How do I stop being a slob…

(8 Posts)
bassetmum Wed 21-Dec-16 16:17:38

And get on top of my housework? I keep coming up with routines that I say I am going to stick to but I can never stick to them. I only ever tend to do a full deep clean when I have people coming over and that isnt very often. Me and my other half both work full time. Help?!?

Sprink Wed 21-Dec-16 16:19:28

How much money do you have to throw at the problem?

Millymollymanatee Wed 21-Dec-16 16:21:03

I think you have to stop thinking of it as "my housework". FFS you work full-time, so you need to share the housework equally, or get a cleaner.

bassetmum Wed 21-Dec-16 17:12:25

Unfortunately I cannot afford a maid. I have and do try to get my OH to do housework but it's like he can't see it. I'm am going to do a proper clean from top to toe next week when we are both off from work. How long a day do you spend doing chores or do you do a one day massive cleaning spree?

PurpleDaisies Wed 21-Dec-16 17:14:50

My dh doesn't really see dirt. I just ask him to do things I see need doing and he does. If you're both off work you should do the big clean together.

Having a weekly tick list helped us. That meant things got done regularly.

GreatPointIAgreeWithYouTotally Wed 21-Dec-16 17:33:46

You say to DH, I'm going to clean the bathrooms, will you Hoover round then we'll chill out together when it's done'.

With my dh it works like hypnosis grinHousework doesn't have to be hell, you can put on some loud music and sing/listen to a podcast/radio whilst you're doing it. And always do something nice for you after. After all you have 'saved' £10-15 an hour by not having a cleaner wink

If you have kids, I would be saying from a young age 'when your room is tidy we will go out to play' or 'I'm making dinner, will you set the table and feed the dog?'

Try to make it part of normal life for the whole household, like cleaning teeth-you wouldn't just do it when guests are coming...

It he objects, ask him when he thinks would be a good time to schedule housework so you can do it together. If he thinks you should do it all he is a cockwomble you have a problem.

bassetmum Wed 21-Dec-16 17:39:31

No kids yet. Currently trying though.

He will do it if I ask him to although I have spent 4.5 years living with him just trying to get him to make the bed (he gets out of bed after me) and I'm still failing with that. He's of the ilk of what is the point we are only going to sleep in it again.

GreatPointIAgreeWithYouTotally Wed 21-Dec-16 17:58:43

I kind of agree with him, making the bed is unnecessary-You could just leave covers down and say you're airing it grin

Pick your battles. Something like cleaning bathrooms actually matters for hygiene. Don't aim for perfection, just cleanliness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now