Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Just moved house. Do I get a different energy supplier?

(3 Posts)
Nosocksevermatchup Tue 20-Dec-16 13:45:44

I've just moved into a new build. Should I stay with British gas and give regular meter readings before tying myself into a fixed term dual package? I've been quoted between £850 to £900 for a fixed yearly tariff.

MidnightDexy Tue 20-Dec-16 16:12:08

Is it triple glazed? Does it have or will you be using thermal / soundproofing underlay under floorings?

specialsubject Tue 20-Dec-16 16:16:00

the quotes are fairly meaningless, it depends what you use. What DOES matter are the standing charges and the unit rates.

obviously you won't have previous bills for this place, but the comparison sites can work round that; just tell them a few details about the property. Remember to ask to see the whole market not just the 'ones they can switch you to' (i.e. the ones that pay them the best commission) Look at the actual standing charges and unit rates and knock up a quick spreadsheet.

probably worth fixing now as prices are rising - inflation is already higher than they say. Be wary of small suppliers as more are going to go bust. Eventually OFGEM will stop bailing them out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now