Talk

Advanced search

Help! How do I get rid of flies in my kitchen?

(17 Posts)
MummySparkle Tue 20-Dec-16 11:11:55

There are flies in my kitchen. Not the big ones, but those teeny tiny little brown-ish ones I've always called them poo flies

I think they have set up home in the overflow hole in the back of my sink - bleugh. I've just slugged copious amounts of bleach in there so hopefully there won't be anymore. They keep flying around my sink and dishwasher.

How can I make them go away?! I have guests coming over tomorrow and I'm so embarrassed. And they're making me feel really gross. Andy suggestions?!

MummySparkle Tue 20-Dec-16 11:12:41

*any suggestions. Although if you know a bloke called Andy who is good with flies then send him my way! grin

Wonderflonium Tue 20-Dec-16 11:15:14

Are they fruit flies?

Put some vinegar in a shallow dish (I use jam jar lids) and a dab of washing up liquid (as in, put a tiny bit of washing up liquid on your finger and dab it in the vinegar)

They are attracted to the smell, come down to drink but drown in the vinegar because the surface tension is broken by the soap.

TheTantrumCometh Tue 20-Dec-16 11:18:34

Sounds like fruit flies. As suggested, vinegar does the job. I used bottles with it in and made makeshift paper funnels for the top to stop them escaping.

The source of our problem was an old fruit bowl stored on top of the fridge. We both thought it had been emptied and cleaned but there was a rotten pear in it <boak>

MummySparkle Tue 20-Dec-16 11:36:54

Amazing! I knew mumsnet would have the answer smile

Emptying GU pots with white vinegar and washing up liquid have been deployed. This means there's probably half a satsuma somewhere in the kitchen courtesy of the kids... might send DH in search of that fwink

Spam88 Tue 20-Dec-16 11:39:19

If they're in your sink then perhaps more likely to be drain flies? They look very similar to fruit flies.

No advice on how to get rid of them sorry. I moved into a flat with a washing machine full of them (completely disgusting) and a good spray with Raid and a hot cycle sorted it out.

Newtoday Tue 20-Dec-16 11:53:00

They are sink flies.

Apple cider vinegar trap! I put a centimetre of ACV in one of those non-spill paint pots children use, with a sort of funnel lid. They flies fly in to get to the vinegar and can't get back out.

Or a jam jar with cling film, hole in the top big enough for them to fly in!

MummySparkle Tue 20-Dec-16 21:08:16

I haven't found any bits of satsuma anywhere, so maybe they are sink flies. Where do they come from? They arrived last week. Vinegar traps have caught about 6. They seem to like red wine, so I've got saucers of that dotted around the kitchen. I only have white vinegar or malt vinegar, no ACV.

Can I spray something on them to make them go away? I caught two of them shagging - they got unceremoniously squashed with a mug

MummySparkle Tue 20-Dec-16 21:12:21

Not the best photo as they're small and don't stay still, but this is them. I'd say there are 20 circling the sink at the mo

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 20-Dec-16 21:15:06

Open all the windows.

Do you have any plants in the kitchen? Put them outside if you do.

Bleach the sink.

Move.

Newtoday Tue 20-Dec-16 21:20:14

But some ACV, it works! You'll see them all in the bottom of the jar!

Newtoday Tue 20-Dec-16 21:20:22

*Buy

MummySparkle Tue 20-Dec-16 21:31:15

But my DM, MIL and Aunt are coming here tomorrow morning at 10am sad will hairspray get them???

ijustwannadance Tue 20-Dec-16 21:35:44

I was going to ask about plants too. I bought soil to re pot plants on kitchen windowledge. Couple of weeks later loads of bloody flies.

MummySparkle Tue 20-Dec-16 22:36:59

Nope, haven't had plant since here since I killed off the ones I got given last Christmas (don't think they saw Easter...) no flowers, only artificial Christmassy branches. Nothing living. Sink was a bit blocked last week so I guess they took advantage of that - gross

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 21-Dec-16 04:52:22

I posted on here about a month ago I think regarding fruit flies. Never had them before but all of a sudden they are a problem ! Iv put cider vinegar in a plastic tub covered in cling film on the side in the kitchen. Iv also used red wine and caught loads with both. If I remove the bowls they come back. I don't get where they are coming from. No fruit or veg rotting, cleaned all kitchen cupboards out to double check. Cleaned behind all appliances. Still they come back. Dh keeps hovering them up with a cordless dyson ( looks a bit of a nutter when he does ). Oh and no plants in the house. I have had a few friends say they have had them also

Mcchickenbb41 Wed 21-Dec-16 04:56:49

Interesting to read they might be drain flies ? Never heard of them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now